Ben Bow and The Wooden Boat Rescue Foundation

  • Bruce Elfstrom
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2004
      I have communicated with Pat Atkin about Ben Bow---this is her as far
      as I can tell. She does not know when the rig was changed, but does
      remember the boat being in Westport in the 1960s. Her suggestion is
      that John and William would tell us to make a replica and save as
      much of the original as possible---with this in mind I feel that the
      following can be saved and used on a new construction:
      keel and ballast
      rigging
      cabin
      cockpit
      all hardware
      rudder
      nameplates
      engine controls
      hatches
      binnacle stand
      sternpost and some deadwood

      I am willing to give a very good low hour engine for this project---a
      yanmar 3 cyl 22 hp with less than 50 hours--new in 2001. I will do
      this only with a guarantee of the completion to Atkins' plans and
      with as much original as possible. I have suggest this project (since
      someone asked me to) to Ross Gannon--I think he may have some numbers
      to think about by the end of the week.

      The web site for The Wooden Boat Rescue Foundation now seems stable(
      WBRF ). Please take a look. We currently have 14 boats--most on the
      site and with pix---this is a current list:
      20 cat boat
      44 Peterson schooner
      38 aft cab Chris craft
      40 Chris Craft--1953
      40 wheeler
      32 Noank Lobster boat
      28 friendship/New England sloop boot---Gloucester type or mid Maine
      coast
      26 gaff cutter Ben Bow
      38 Maine cruiser/lobster boat
      30 Trojan cruiser
      50 William Hand motor sail
      30 Ralph Winslow sloop
      24 Atkin's Shore Liner

      Cheers, Bruce
    • Bruce Elfstrom
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2004
        Her is a note i just got from Pat Atkin.

        "Dear Bruce:

        Was reading the chat room and saw you posting.

        Thank you . I will supply a set of BEN BOW plans, as a gift, to
        anyone who takes the boat to use in building a replica. Your gift of
        an engine is great. Perhaps we can get someone interested.
        .........keep me posted if you get someone interested.

        The offer stands for any Atkin boat you find. I will be happy to
        supply plans for SHORELINER, if you find a taker.

        Pat ."

        So now there is a free Yanmar that is almost new, the plans, and two
        anchors and warp.

        please contact me.