isuzu engine for sand dollar

  • adharvey2
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2004
      I am considering building Sand Dollar, as a more easily and quickly
      built alternative to the slightly larger day cruisers I mentioned in
      an earlier post. My main priority is the large cockpit, anyway.
      A friend of mine in Seattle has an Isuzu 6 cylinder marine diesel
      that he is willing to let me have. All he wants in return is to take
      the boat over there for the winters. That would certainly make the
      boat happy! But I'm not sure if it's too big or not. It's 90 hp at
      1800 rpm, 396 cid, and about 750lbs. He's also got a zf 2:1 gear with
      10 deg down angle, about 75lbs. Is this setup too much for Sand
      Dollar? I wouldn't want to over power it. The displacement certainly
      violates the Atkins' specs, but the power and weight seem like they
      might be close enough. I would welcome any experienced or thoughful
      comment.
      Andrew Harvey
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2004
        That's a big chunk of engine! It'll probably be at least 200 pounds heavier
        than the biggest engine the Atkins recommended, and more powerful. At least
        it's not a high-speed engine. I keep reading that the light, high-speed
        diesels like Yanmar don't like to run at a light load...

        On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:54:35 -0000, Andrew wrote:

        > I am considering building Sand Dollar, as a more easily and quickly
        > built alternative to the slightly larger day cruisers I mentioned in
        > an earlier post. My main priority is the large cockpit, anyway.
        > A friend of mine in Seattle has an Isuzu 6 cylinder marine diesel
        > that he is willing to let me have. All he wants in return is to take
        > the boat over there for the winters. That would certainly make the
        > boat happy! But I'm not sure if it's too big or not. It's 90 hp at
        > 1800 rpm, 396 cid, and about 750lbs. He's also got a zf 2:1 gear with
        > 10 deg down angle, about 75lbs. Is this setup too much for Sand
        > Dollar? I wouldn't want to over power it. The displacement certainly
        > violates the Atkins' specs, but the power and weight seem like they
        > might be close enough. I would welcome any experienced or thoughful
        > comment.

        The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
        be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
        <Elizabeth Taylor>