New file uploaded to AtkinBoats

  • AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 22, 2004
      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
      group.

      File : /Temp/Typhoon #23.jpg
      Uploaded by : sdholt <sdholt@...>
      Description : Typhoon came through Okinawa 10/19/04 w/115mph winds..Small one.

      You can access this file at the URL:

      Regards,

      sdholt <sdholt@...>
    • AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 18, 2005
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
        group.

        File : /MotorboatDrawings/Martha Green/Matha Green MS.JPG
        Uploaded by : j_freach <j_freach@...>
        Description : Martha Green Sail Plan

        j_freach <j_freach@...>
      • AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 7, 2005
          Hello,

          a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
          group.

          File : /SailboatPhotos/Coda/36' Atkins - Coda - profile.JPG
          Uploaded by : andulsianstallion <jothello@...>
          Description : Coda Profile at anchor

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 21, 2006
            Hello,

            a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
            group.

            File : /waterlines187.jpg
            Uploaded by : benefruct <ken@...>
            Description : Calisto V. Canelli

            benefruct <ken@...>
          • AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 5, 2009
              Hello,

              a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
              group.

              File : /River Belle hull resistance.jpg
              Uploaded by : bomanaj <alan@...>
              Description : Graph from FreeShip shows hull resistance of River Belle

              bomanaj <alan@...>
            • AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 12, 2011
                Hello,

                a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
                group.

                File : /HappyClamSkiff.pdf
                Uploaded by : nasplundh <nasplundh@...>
                Description : Happy Clam article PDF

                You can access this file at the URL:

                Regards,

                nasplundh <nasplundh@...>
              • Alan Boman
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 12, 2011

                  Hi “nasplundh”

                  Thanks very much for the article about Happy Clam, including the offsets.  Terrific !

                  You can immediately see that Happy Clam doesn’t make any attempt to direct the wash leaving the transom downward to provide lift.  The photos of Happy Clam underway clearly show the stern “squatting” significantly and given that its draft is given as 11.5”, I wonder what minimum depth it would need to operate?

                  Given that Rescue Minor seems to achieve the best fore & aft balance, I wonder why the later designs trended away from what I would have thought was a very desirable characteristic??

                  Alan

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 13, 2011
                    Thanks for the Happy Clam Skiff! The plans show a speed of about 20mph with a 10 HP engine...any speculation what speed might be obtained with a 15 HP engine? I understand this is not a planing hull and it must "work" it's way through the water as opposed to skipping across the surface, so I'm not so sure more power will work at all. Any ideas out there?

                    Around here there is A LOT of water, both fresh and salt and there can be a long way to go to get to your destination. My target / minimum speed is at least 25 mph and I am wondering if any of these Sea Bright Hulls can manage that speed.

                    I also like the seaworthiness of these hulls as it would see some near coastal ocean water.

                    Greg in SC, USA

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 14, 2011

                      Hi Greg,

                      A speed of 20mph is way more than the natural “hull speed” for a 17’ boat, so you can safely say that it is well and truly planing.

                      Atkin’s first ever Tunnel Stern design from 1922, “Mischief”, is the fastest of any of them and is quoted as achieving 23mph with a 30Hp engine.  It was a bit longer at 23’ which would have helped I suspect, but it gives you an idea.  The shape of the tunnel may have been a bit different too, but the plans haven’t survived, so far as I’m aware, so I guess we’ll never know.....

                      Alan