Rescue Minor VS Heron

  • Ron Devries
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 7, 2014
      I've been reading up on the awesome tunnel hull designs on the Atkin website.  There is quite a bit of information about Rescue Minor, I read a lot of Robb White's info.  Rescue Minor is probably bigger than I really need so I was looking at Heron as an alternative.  The description seems to indicate that it is easy to build but it doesn't say compared to what.  Is it easier than Rescue Minor?  If someone can provide some feedback on building and using Heron, I'd appreciate the comments.
    • mrk_gillett
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 7, 2014
        If it is ease of construction here is a knock off in a more modern construction method.
        I would think there are very few that could duplicate what White did in building his. That was one very pretty boat. Getting that much tumble home had to be a real job.

        Mark Gillett
        488 E Shade Dr
        Venice, FL 34293
        704.651.5817

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 7, 2014

          Have you built the ST21?  How does it compare to Rescue Minor in performance.  I was hoping for something smaller than Recue Minor though.

        • mrk_gillett
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 8, 2014
            No I haven't. The designer has been a proponent of the stitch and glue method for a long time. He used to work for Fountain boats. That is about all I know of it. There are a lot of tunnel hull boats out there. Popular in Texas and Florida due to skinny water.

            Mark Gillett
            488 E Shade Dr
            Venice, FL 34293
            704.651.5817

            Have you built the ST21?  How does it compare to Rescue Minor in performance.  I was hoping for something smaller than Recue Minor though.
          • ron_devries65
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 8, 2014

              Something I haven't been able to determine is if Rescue Minor is a newer or older design than Heron.  Reading the descriptions on the website would have a bit of different meaning if I knew which was the latest.

            • Brent
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 8, 2014
                If you search for "Chronology of Tunnel Sterns" in this group's messages you will see an attempt at a list in order. This puts the Heron as being OLDER than the RM. Brent

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, <ron_devries65@...> wrote:

                > Something I haven't been able to determine is if Rescue Minor is a newer or older design than Heron. Reading the descriptions on the website would have a bit of different meaning if I knew which was the latest.

              • Alan Boman
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 9, 2014

                  Heron was designed in 1930 and Rescue Minor in 1942.

                  RM is quite suitable for plywood construction so far as I’m aware and Heron maybe OK, although the Tumblehome Stern might be a question mark.

                  If you really want to check, you can enter the Offsets table in the free hull design software “FreeShip”  (now called Delftship) and it will tell you if there are any compound curves.  It’s not the easiest software to use however and there’s a bit of a learning curve, but it does give you lots of useful hydrological information about the hull shape.

                  I’ve built a “River Belle” hull (1943) in plywood and it’s fine.

                  Alan Boman

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 10, 2014

                    Thanks for the feedback, that helps a lot.  How do you like River Belle?

                  • Alan Boman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 12, 2014

                      Hi Ron – it’s not in the water yet, but the hull went together in plywood quite easily.  Have a look at www.rhapsodyinglue.com for full story & pictures.

                      Alan

                      Thanks for the feedback, that helps a lot.  How do you like River Belle?

                    • gene park
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 12, 2014
                        Brilliant! Classic beauty. That would be a great boat to explore the Columbia and Snake Rivers.