Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: "Stepby" info sought

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2004
      Most of the MoToR BoatinG Ideal Series books consist of reprints of the
      "Build a Boat" articles. It sounds like you have a copy of the article
      straight from the magazine. Does it have blueprints?

      If you want to go 25 mph Stepby will do it with a lot less horsepower than
      most boats her size nowadays! She'd go slow pretty well too, without wasting
      a bunch of power making a big wake. She wouldn't make a _bad_ electric boat,
      in fact if you wanted to try making an electric-powered speedster she might
      be a good choice. A big electric motor -- say 25 hp. -- and a big pile of
      batteries might not weigh much more than a 1920s era high-speed 40 hp.
      marine engine... But for the best efficiency at displacement speeds a hull
      that isn't designed to cope with high speeds would be better.

      I too have volume 1 of the Practical Series. It was advertised rather
      ambiguously, something like "volume one of MoToR BoatinG series" and I
      bought it sight unseen thinking it might be volume one of the _Ideal_
      series. I was sure surprised when I found out it was number one of the
      _Practical_ series, which I hadn't heard of before... But it wasn't terribly
      expensive, and is an interesting book in its own right. Here's an ad for the
      series from Ideal Series volume 9 (1927). What happened to volumes one and
      two?

      On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:07:06 -0000, Dan wrote:

      > The only other clue on there is that the plans are from the "Motor
      > Boating Build a Boat Series" I don't know if that directly coincides
      > with the Ideal Series books or not.
      >
      > I thought it seemed kind of rounded, but I guess you're right, from
      > the engine back it's a pretty straight run.
      >
      > Side note: This book is the first I'd heard of the "Practical Series"
      > from MB, the Ideal Series seems to be much more popular - has anyone
      > seen the Practical Series before? I'll send you some photos John.

      One boat just leads to another.
      <John Kohnen>