Re: Rescue Minor

  • waterbroke2003
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 10, 2013
      I put the engine on the centerline in my rescue minor and it performs well. It does steer to port in reverse, offset shaft would help prevent this. If I did it again I would probable offset the shaft about 2 degrees as a compromise.

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Boman" <alan@...> wrote:

      > Hi Guys,
      >

      > Just as a matter of detail, "River Belle" is another Atkin Tunnel Stern that
      > has the prop shaft offset 5 degrees to counter Prop. Walk, and from memory,
      > I think "Nanuk III" does too. These are both contemporaries of "Rescue
      > Minor" from the early forties.
      >

      > River Bell's engine was placed right at the stern in the original design,
      > although I have moved it forward by 1 metre and flattened the shaft angle to
      > be parallel with the water line. We'll see how well it works (or not) in
      > due course..
      >

      > Alan
      >

      > South Australia

    • ojskiff
      Message 38 of 38 , May 18, 2014
        I have seen 4 Resue Minors built and 3 of the builders modified Atkin's plans.  All 3 of them had problems with the performance.  Atkin's knew what he was doing and I would recommend that anyone build it according to the plan.I built one under Sea Island Boatworks (Mark Bayne) and we followed the plans to the "tee"  The boat preformed perfectly.  I would advise that everyone stick to the plans.  I have a lot of Rescue Minor construction photos posted at www.morrisislandboatworks.com