Re: Rescue miner

  • mrk_gillett
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2013
      I am no expert on this but I do know that balance is very important in this design. See rob white's rescue minor. He did quite a bit of modification of the RM but he was well qualified to do so.
      http://www.robbwhite.com/rescue.minor.html

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "waterbroke2003" <smmb@...> wrote:

      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Chris Davis <cdavis.rockport@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello out there just joined the group. I flipped my boat off the the strong back and molds today and well it now looks like a boat! First boat project I have to inform you all. Now to the inside and top. I've seen several other builds an I'm favoring a center console. Anyone have any thoughts on putting the engine infront of the console? I haven't bored the shaft opening through the deadwood yet but it looks like the shaft could remain under the deck when that's installed.
      > > Regards,
      > > Chris
      > >My rescue minor has the engine in front of and partially under the console. Moved the engine forward about 19 inches. See pictures on this site under "Mud Minor".

    • Tom
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 8 8:15 PM
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "mrk_gillett" <mark@...> wrote:

        > I am no expert on this but I do know that balance is very important in this design. See rob white's rescue minor. He did quite a bit of modification of the RM but he was well qualified to do so.

        I am also no expert, however I have copies or originals of Quite a few of "Motorboating Ideal series" of books for almost every tunnel stern boat Atkin designed. They had different locations in the different boats. The Minor was pushed to the stern to gain deck space for stretchers as this was designed as a WWII ambulance boat. It was also the only one with a 5 degree prop shaft offset to counter prop walk.

        The boat would probably balance better if the motor was moved forward.

        Robb White's son said that the minor was the only boat that he saw his father actually loft. He did the keel board and tunnel exactly to plan but probably changed the entry at a the bow, it is probably similar to his sportboat bow. Refer to the photo in the photo section.