schooner

  • Bruce Elfstrom
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
      Hello Scott. I know it's not an Atkin's, but I have a free Murray
      Peterson 44 Schooner here. Its in need of restoration, but she has
      very nice traditional coaster lines.

      Let me know---I will have some pix, etc on www.classicworkboat.com
      ASAP---some info already there.

      Cheers, Bruce
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
        Even if you're just changing the mainsail of a schooner check the center of
        effort. Of course if you change the mainsail to a gaff sail you're on your
        own and Mrs. Atkin won't have anything to do with you any more! ;o) Getting
        professional help shouldn't cost much, especially when you compare it to the
        cost of building the schooner. Jay Benford used to work for the Atkins, and
        is familiar with traditonal rigs. He'd be a good designer to ask for help:

        http://www.benford.us/

        If you had a professional draw a gaff mainsail for you Mrs. Atkin might even
        forgive you! ;o)

        On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:11:28 -0700 (PDT), Scott wrote:

        > John,
        > Thanks for the link to Jim's homepage. Very
        > informative. I would never take it upon my self to
        > change any design for fear of botching the job. A
        > designer I am not. Many boats out there for the
        > backyard builder are not proven designs. Atkins
        > designs are proven. That being the case I would not
        > change the sailplan. I am a schooner man .....

        There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism, and that is
        the impulse to punish the man with a superior capacity for happiness.
        <H. L. Mencken>
      • Scott Holt
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
          Thanks for the info Bruce. 43' is far to much boat
          for me. That's why I was so excited about finding
          Atkin's 30'/ 36' schooners.

          By the way I'm also in Okinawa, Japan. Another
          typhoon is heading our way..

          http://vote.yahoo.com
        • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004
            Welcome to the list, Scott. As long as the topic is current, let me add that I have put together a personal site for Atkin schooner enthusiasts called "A Celebration of Atkin Schooners". It is meant to be a place where those who are interested can get information and see other people's Atkin schooners. Frankly, it's just a shameless ploy on my part to find other Atkin schooner owners to talk to.

            Here is the URL:
            http://www.geocities.com/wmeparker

            I welcome all feedback that makes sense. The best way to leave that is via the guest book.

            Best,
            Bill

          • Scott Holt
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004
              Thanks for the link. I like it and can't wait for
              other Atkins schooner owners to send in their
              pictures. I added your site to my favorite site list
              and will check often for updates. Thanks..

              How can you not love the sight of a schooner..

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Scott Holt

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004

                    http://messenger.yahoo.com