Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: outboard motor boat design for trip down the river Murray Australia

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 5, 2013
      Mack Angas's Utility. More "inspired by" Sedge than a stretch of the Atkin
      design:

      "When several small boats were needed recently for the Public Works
      Division of the Charleston Navy Yard, it was considered worth while to try
      and find or develop something better than the traditional bateau. Search
      of old files of yachting and boating magazines revealed in MoToR BoatinG
      for August, 1936, a promising little craft in Sedge from the board of
      William Atkin. Further consideration led to the conclusion, however, that
      Sedge was too small. Being mindful of Mr. Atkin's often reiterated
      warnings against altering his, or any other competent Naval Architect's
      designs, we therefore decided to adopt his basic idea of a punt type
      outboard driven utility boat and design a boat of the size needed. The
      result was Utility, as handy and useful an eighteen foot work boat as
      could he desired for the multitudinous odd jobs that fall to the lot of
      the survey party and waterfront gang at a shipyard."

      The Utility article and plans can be found in volumes 20, 24, 25, 32 & 41
      of the MoToR BoatinG Ideal series.

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 5, 2013
        Utility can be found here: http://www.dngoodchild.com/5390.htm