Re: Sailing Skiffs

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 25, 2004
      Craig, is it the sailing skiff that is sloop rigged with 130sqft of
      canvas? Oh, man! Be still my thudding heart!

      Dennis

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, craig o'donnell <dadadata@f...>
      wrote:
      > >John, ever since reading Stambaugh's good skiffs, I've wondered
      about
      > >Jordan's Footloose. Care to give a testimonial? I'd be interested
      in
      > >hearing what you have to say about her.
      > >
      > >Dennis
      >
      > Stay tuned for a Chapelle skiff from 1956 - should appear in both
      MAIB and
      > in Duckworks. 14' by 5.
      > --
      > Craig O'Donnell
      > Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
      > <http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/>
      > The Proa FAQ <http://boat-links.com/proafaq.html>
      > The Cheap Pages <http://www.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/>
      > Sailing Canoes, Polytarp Sails, Bamboo, Chinese
      Junks,
      > American Proas, the Bolger Boat Honor Roll,
      > Plywood Boats, Bamboo Rafts, &c.
      > _________________________________
      >
      > -- Professor of Boatology -- Junkomologist
      > -- Macintosh kinda guy
      > Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
      > _________________________________
    • craig o'donnell
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 25, 2004
        >Craig, is it the sailing skiff that is sloop rigged with 130sqft of
        >canvas? Oh, man! Be still my thudding heart!

        No ... from my intro to the piece:

        The skiff is Chapelle's own design, based on a craft he measured at Coan,
        Virginia. You can order large-scale plans from the Smithsonian -- #
        HIC-105. The skiff's dimensions are: 14' by 5' with draft: 1' (cb down
        2'6"). Sail area is 78 sq. ft.
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 25, 2004
          Several years ago, the first boat I saw when I arrived at the Depoe Bay
          Wooden Boat Festival was a fancy sprit-rigged sailing skiff. I looked it
          over and thought, "I could see myself in a boat like this, only not so
          fancy." It was a Footloose built by boatbuilder Louie Brochetti from
          Redmond.

          http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/99/BoatFest-1.html

          I'd previously been of the mind that skiffs should be slender, but the
          Footloose looked just fine, it's got a fair amount of flare in the sides, so
          while the beam a the gunwales is a lot, it's not too bad on the bottom. At
          any rate, I ended up buying Louie's skiff several months later.

          The sprit rig took some getting used to, and I'm still figuring it out. I
          really like not having a boom to hit me in the head, and the rig is so
          simple it only takes me a few minutes to get rigged. All the spars store
          inside the boat, under the cover. Pickle (named after the RN schooner that
          brought news of the battle of Trafalgar to England) sails well, going to
          windward well enough to get me where I'm going, but not like the go-fast
          boats. The loose-footed sail's weak point is running downwind, but I've
          never experienced the "death roll" I've heard about people getting into with
          other loose-footed sailed boats. Pickle is a poor drifter. Warren Jordan
          designed Footloose for the lakes and bays on the Oregon coast, where it's
          usually windy, so the sail area is small. Louie specified quite heavy
          sailcloth, and the sail is cut fairly flat, both of which don't help in a
          light breeze. When it comes time for a new sail, I'll go with lighter
          sailcloth. Reefing a spritsail is difficult, and in Pickle involves standing
          up near the bow and reaching way up the mast to slip the snotter down to the
          reefed position.

          Pickle is very stable, and sails quite flat. The argument that a flat-
          bottomed sailboat won't pound badly because it's usually heeled over,
          presenting a V to the water, applies less to fat flat-bottomed boats. It's
          best to take a passenger along to catch the spray when out on a choppy day
          (I know you're here, Joe <g>). What's worst though are motorboat wakes when
          the breeze is light, they'll stop Pickle dead. :o( I weigh over 16 stone,
          but can stand up and stomp all around in Pickle without fear, which is a
          very nice thing about fat flat-bottom boats.

          I sail Pickle sitting on the floorboards between the sternsheets and the aft
          thwart, leaning against the side, very comfortable for my crotchety middle-
          aged bones. The interior of Pickle is all cluttered up with thwarts and a
          centerboard trunk, but that's normal for that kind of boat. Makes me
          appreciate leeboards, or keels. But take a look at Alone for a skiff that
          tries to address the problem:

          http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Alone.html

          Pickle is a sailboat first and foremost, she rows OK, and powers OK (a 2-
          horse is plenty), but likes sailing best.

          All in all, Pickle suits me very well at this stage in my life. Warren
          Jordan is a former commercial fisherman who's decided that the only kind of
          boating he'll be doing from now on will be peaceful, comfortable, safe and
          fun. This shows in the design of Footloose. It's a Good Boat.

          On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 02:18:51 -0000, Dennis wrote:
          > John, ever since reading Stambaugh's good skiffs, I've wondered about
          > Jordan's Footloose. Care to give a testimonial? I'd be interested in
          > hearing what you have to say about her.
          > > http://www.jordanwoodboats.com/

          Show me a man who has enjoyed his school days and I'll show you a
          bully and a bore. <Robert Morley>
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 25, 2004
            I suppose I should ban Craig for mentioning a Chapelle boat on an Atkin
            list, but since I just raved about my Jordan skiff, I guess I'll let him off
            this time. ;o) Thanks for the heads-up. Can you let us know when the skiff
            appears in Duckworks?

            On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 07:42:54 -0500, COD wrote:
            > Stay tuned for a Chapelle skiff from 1956 - should appear in both MAIB and
            > in Duckworks. 14' by 5.

            A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought.
            <Lord Peter Wimsey>
          • John Ewing
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 25, 2004
              My Bolger Surf has a loose-footed sprit sail. What's this about 'death rolls'? Doesn't sound at all good to a chicken-sh*t sailor like me. What happens there?

              John
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 26, 2004
                It can't be loose footed(as such) if its got a sprit boom, I think loose footed really means without any boom/sprit on the sail. The simple sprit as Bolger uses on may of his sailing designs is very efficient and economic and won't cause "Death Rolls". Loose footed sails (un boomed) belly out when running down wind and can cause a boat to get up a rhythmic roll that can get out of control resulting in capsize.

                Hugo Tyson. Tasmania, Australia. Ex "Teal" Dinghy owner/sailor.

                John Ewing <john.ewing@...> wrote:
                My Bolger Surf has a loose-footed sprit sail. What's this about 'death rolls'? Doesn't sound at all good to a chicken-sh*t sailor like me. What happens there?

                John
                <snip> The loose-footed sail's weak point is running downwind, but I've
                never experienced the "death roll" I've heard about people getting into with
                other loose-footed sailed boats...

                No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
                <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • craig o'donnell
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 26, 2004
                  >I think loose footed really means without any boom/sprit on the sail.

                  Well, Loose Footed means only attached to the boom at the tack and the
                  clew. "Boomless" means no boom of any sort.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 26, 2004
                    >I suppose I should ban Craig for mentioning a Chapelle boat on an Atkin
                    >list, but since I just raved about my Jordan skiff, I guess I'll let him off
                    >this time. ;o) Thanks for the heads-up. Can you let us know when the skiff
                    >appears in Duckworks?

                    Will do. Aww, 'mon, I admitted that Atkin Pere and Fils write rings around HIC.

                    Don't know when it will show up in MAIB. Like I said, if Robb White gets
                    tendinitis and we get a break from 1/3 of the magazine authored by the
                    Gremlin of the Gulf.....

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 26, 2004
                      Of course I was just joshing Craig. Discussions of boats designed by someone
                      other than an Atkin are perfectly appropriate here. The only people I've
                      ever banned in my career managing Yahoo mailing lists (this is my second)
                      were spammers.

                      On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 07:24:04 -0500, COD wrote:
                      > >I suppose I should ban Craig...

                      All the troubles of man come from his not knowing how to sit still.
                      <Blaise Pascal>