Re: Fore An' Aft

  • JohnA
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 5 8:26 AM
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Briton H" <brithowell@...> wrote:

      > The plans call for Yellow Pine in the keel, and a couple of other areas. SYP is a bit sparse here. Does anyone here know if Doug Fir or Juniper wold be an acceptable substitute?

      This is one of those cases, I think, where you can get into trouble by being too 'creative'. Boat builders in your area figured out a long time ago what local woods were good for what. The best thing to do (for a number of reasons!) is to track down some old-time boat builders and ask them. It might take a bit of digging to find them, but they are around.

      You need a local support community for a project like this. Most would be thrilled to share their experience, I think.
    • Briton H
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 5 8:28 AM
        Thanks for that link. I had a similar one, but had lost it in between projects.
      • Giuliano Girometta
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 5 2:36 PM
          White oak is a good substitute. Today's SYP is totally different, they now altered the genetic of the seeds to speed up the growt and the actual SYP is no more hard and rot resistant like the old.

          Giuliano

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 5 2:51 PM
            That is the good one.
            I have about 300 bf that I salvaged from an old building. They now are at least 98 years old.
            You must see the difference between the two after you clear the surface with the planer.

            Giuliano

            I've seem lots of SYP at wood salvagers but it is $7/bf. lots of long lengths. If you use Doug Fir it should be epoxy encapsulated and check ring spacing.
            Tim

            On Apr 5, 2013, at 7:54 AM, John Frodigh <John.Frodigh@...> wrote:

            I have a Fore n Aft built in the 50s, the keel and deadwood are white oak, which is great, SYP just lasts longer.

            John Frodigh

            The plans call for Yellow Pine in the keel, and a couple of other areas. SYP is a bit sparse here. Does anyone here know if Doug Fir or Juniper wold be an acceptable substitute?

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

            > > I am researching gathering and milling much of the lumber and drying it myself as well.
            >
            > I think this is an under-discussed part of boat building. How to get sufficient lumber to build a boat, without going broke in the process. It sure helps to locally source your lumber, as Mr. Madison is doing with his Maid of Endor build.
            >
            > http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?128218-Building-the-Maid
            >
            > He seems to get most of his wood from his backyard ;-)

            This transmission is not a digital or electronic signature and cannot be used to form, document, or authenticate a contract. Hilton and its affiliates accept no liability arising in connection with this transmission.Copyright 2013 Hilton Worldwide Proprietary and Confidential
          • expeditions
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 6 5:27 AM

              He is right on about Long leaf YP these days.  I used very large timbers from old factories for a 34 cutter I have.  The structure of that wood was markedly different that current or even a few decades on YP.  This holds true or even more so for Doug Fir.

              WO and Bronze -- very good combination.