Re: Fore An' Aft

  • Briton H
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 5 7:44 AM
      I would have to splice up a white oak keel, but it is an option. While looking at the idea of cutting my own lumber, I discovered a local tree that is considered white oak - Gambel oak. Also called scrub oak around here - a trash tree. Funny what you find when you approach a problem from a different angle. White oak runs about $6 a foot at the lumber yard, but I may be able to get all I want for free.

      John - What do you think about the internal/external ballast arrangement? Does it work ok, or would you prefer more outside than inside?
    • John Frodigh
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 5 8:02 AM

        Internal  ballast is certainly old school, think Belgian pavers as ballast on the return trip of the yankee traders to europe.

        The combination does work, you can fine tune your trim, and go light a little for more freeboard. My internal ballast is lead balls 3" in diameter laid out like balls racked up on a pool table, double layers in the bilge and single layer up under the ceiling about a foot up.  My external is about 2,000 lb. of cast iron. I have heard poured concrete is not the way to go for internal.

        John Frodigh

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 5 8:04 AM

          Epoxy encap for DF?  Why do that?  Asking for major rot IMO.

          Best would be black locust (hard to find something that big though) or WO.  Or go sustainable tropical wood - purple heart, etc.

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 5 8:12 AM
            This is a bit to wade through but should answer you questions about the potential for local woods.

          • Edgar
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 5 8:22 AM
              What about the obvious-white oak? I don't know where you are so I don't know if it's obtainable. I have used Doug Fir for lighter boats but for a heavier boat like F'nA I would not use it. It wears away under abrasion (grounding) much faster than oak. White oak, not red oak.

              I am currently building Ninigret.

              Bill B
            • JohnA
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 5 8:26 AM
                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Briton H" <brithowell@...> wrote:

                > The plans call for Yellow Pine in the keel, and a couple of other areas. SYP is a bit sparse here. Does anyone here know if Doug Fir or Juniper wold be an acceptable substitute?

                This is one of those cases, I think, where you can get into trouble by being too 'creative'. Boat builders in your area figured out a long time ago what local woods were good for what. The best thing to do (for a number of reasons!) is to track down some old-time boat builders and ask them. It might take a bit of digging to find them, but they are around.

                You need a local support community for a project like this. Most would be thrilled to share their experience, I think.
              • Briton H
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 5 8:28 AM
                  Thanks for that link. I had a similar one, but had lost it in between projects.
                • Giuliano Girometta
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 5 2:36 PM
                    White oak is a good substitute. Today's SYP is totally different, they now altered the genetic of the seeds to speed up the growt and the actual SYP is no more hard and rot resistant like the old.

                    Giuliano

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 5 2:51 PM
                      That is the good one.
                      I have about 300 bf that I salvaged from an old building. They now are at least 98 years old.
                      You must see the difference between the two after you clear the surface with the planer.

                      Giuliano

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 6 5:27 AM

                        He is right on about Long leaf YP these days.  I used very large timbers from old factories for a 34 cutter I have.  The structure of that wood was markedly different that current or even a few decades on YP.  This holds true or even more so for Doug Fir.

                        WO and Bronze -- very good combination.