Little Maid of Kent toerail attachment dilemma

  • mikmet71
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2013
      Hello folks,
      Still making progress on Black Pearl here in Maine.
      I've got toe rails glued up about 1.5"x 2" in 30 ft long of white oak.
      I've got a dilemma about attachment, and I'm sure I'm over-thinking this.

      The old toe rail was bolted through the plywood with only washers behind. Those loosened up and led to leaks which made for major deck repairs. The original plans appear to call for screws into the (t&g) deck and sheer strake. The old rail was set back about an inch or more from the edge of the deck so the bolts would miss the planking.

      I have replaced some sections of the sheer strake, and most of it is in good shape. I can't get into the beam shelf as its below the deck beams and inside the frames. I'm not crazy about trying to hit the beams either, as they were not in excellent condition.

      I'm considering two options:
      Screwing the new rail into the sheer strake through the plywood. I've got #14 x 4" SB wood screws that should work.
      Another option is to bolt though with small backing blocks as it was before. I have 1/4"-20 x 5" SS bolts for this option.
      Either way the bolts or screws will need to go in at an angle if I want to keep the rail near the edge of the deck.

      Any thoughts on best approaches for long term strength and leak-tightness?

      https://picasaweb.google.com/108044486270473249389/BlackPearl_repairs?authuser=0&feat=directlink
    • Stephen Paul
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2013
        Great pics!  Thanks,  I'll let others with more experience offer ideas on your challenge.  :)

        Steve

        Steve Paul

        206-683-2961

        Notes From the Job Search

        www.linkedin.com/in/StephenMPaul

        To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8, 2013
          Love the photos. Looks like you've been doing lots of good work.

          My recommendation is that you bevel the toe rail outward to match the angle of your sheer strake (or closer to it). That'll give you plenty of room to screw into the sheer strake. I'd probably bed the toe rail in something like Sikaflex 291 so that I could actually take it apart again if needed.

          Something like this: http://www.eyeinhand.com/Marginalia/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/ToeRailPlugDetail-0520.jpeg

          Best of luck.

          --Joe