Re: "Stepby" info sought

  • ztiurk
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2004
      Hi John:

      The only other clue on there is that the plans are from the "Motor
      Boating Build a Boat Series" I don't know if that directly coincides
      with the Ideal Series books or not.

      I thought it seemed kind of rounded, but I guess you're right, from
      the engine back it's a pretty straight run.

      Side note: This book is the first I'd heard of the "Practical Series"
      from MB, the Ideal Series seems to be much more popular - has anyone
      seen the Practical Series before? I'll send you some photos John.

      Dan

      > Welcome aboard dan! The earliest volume of the Ideal Series my
      index shows
      > Stepby in is #9. My copy has a copyright date of 1927, so the boat
      was
      > designed before then. That's probably as close as we'll get to
      dating
      > Stepby, unless the plans exist and Mrs. Atkin sees this thread and
      digs them
      > up so we can get the number and make a better guess, or there might
      even
      > be a date on them somewhere...
      >
      > Stepby is a high-speed boat in spite of the sharp stern. Just look
      at that
      > flat run! She probably wouldn't be a good choice for electric power.
      >
      > On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 02:52:56 -0000, Dan K wrote:
      > > Hi All:
      > >
      > > I'm new here, and have known about John K's site for some time
      owing
      > > to his Ideal Series pages, and his link to the Atkin pages. I just
      > > got a "Practical Series - Vol 1" from Motor Boating today (dated
      > > 1918) and inside was a loose MB plan of Stepby - doesn't appear
      to be
      > > from the book oddly enough. I was curious to know what year that
      boat
      > > was drawn up, and if anyone know of any examples around today.
      It's

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 17, 2004
        Most of the MoToR BoatinG Ideal Series books consist of reprints of the
        "Build a Boat" articles. It sounds like you have a copy of the article
        straight from the magazine. Does it have blueprints?

        If you want to go 25 mph Stepby will do it with a lot less horsepower than
        most boats her size nowadays! She'd go slow pretty well too, without wasting
        a bunch of power making a big wake. She wouldn't make a _bad_ electric boat,
        in fact if you wanted to try making an electric-powered speedster she might
        be a good choice. A big electric motor -- say 25 hp. -- and a big pile of
        batteries might not weigh much more than a 1920s era high-speed 40 hp.
        marine engine... But for the best efficiency at displacement speeds a hull
        that isn't designed to cope with high speeds would be better.

        I too have volume 1 of the Practical Series. It was advertised rather
        ambiguously, something like "volume one of MoToR BoatinG series" and I
        bought it sight unseen thinking it might be volume one of the _Ideal_
        series. I was sure surprised when I found out it was number one of the
        _Practical_ series, which I hadn't heard of before... But it wasn't terribly
        expensive, and is an interesting book in its own right. Here's an ad for the
        series from Ideal Series volume 9 (1927). What happened to volumes one and
        two?

        On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:07:06 -0000, Dan wrote:

        > The only other clue on there is that the plans are from the "Motor
        > Boating Build a Boat Series" I don't know if that directly coincides
        > with the Ideal Series books or not.
        >
        > I thought it seemed kind of rounded, but I guess you're right, from
        > the engine back it's a pretty straight run.
        >
        > Side note: This book is the first I'd heard of the "Practical Series"
        > from MB, the Ideal Series seems to be much more popular - has anyone
        > seen the Practical Series before? I'll send you some photos John.

        One boat just leads to another.
        <John Kohnen>