Re: outboard motor boat design for trip down the river Murray Australia

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 30, 2013
      A day or two delay for rough weather to move on; might be worth the extra room the square bow will give. A lot of choice of style of boat is dependent on if you must press on in weather or if you take a break and layup for a day or two. Being able to motor in thin water makes it easier to find calmer water.

      Of course I am writing this knowing nothing of the Murray river except what Alan has stated. I am located in N. America.

      The Motorboating issue with the 18 ft. Punt is 'Jan. 1942'. Enough info there to build from. Would not be too difficult to build in plywood.
      Bob R.

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 5, 2013
        Mack Angas's Utility. More "inspired by" Sedge than a stretch of the Atkin
        design:

        "When several small boats were needed recently for the Public Works
        Division of the Charleston Navy Yard, it was considered worth while to try
        and find or develop something better than the traditional bateau. Search
        of old files of yachting and boating magazines revealed in MoToR BoatinG
        for August, 1936, a promising little craft in Sedge from the board of
        William Atkin. Further consideration led to the conclusion, however, that
        Sedge was too small. Being mindful of Mr. Atkin's often reiterated
        warnings against altering his, or any other competent Naval Architect's
        designs, we therefore decided to adopt his basic idea of a punt type
        outboard driven utility boat and design a boat of the size needed. The
        result was Utility, as handy and useful an eighteen foot work boat as
        could he desired for the multitudinous odd jobs that fall to the lot of
        the survey party and waterfront gang at a shipyard."

        The Utility article and plans can be found in volumes 20, 24, 25, 32 & 41
        of the MoToR BoatinG Ideal series.

        --
        John (jkohnen@...)
        No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 5, 2013
          Utility can be found here: http://www.dngoodchild.com/5390.htm