Re: outboard motor boat design for trip down the river Murray Australia

  • Peter Evans
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 30, 2013
      Sledge looks nice

      maybe 1ft longer would just add a bit more carrying capacity, but at 15ft thats not too bad. A sunshade is a definate. Plywood would be easier to make than solid wood, either way a nice easy boat to make that looks well suited to what you want to do.

      By the way, where in Oz are you, melbourne here. If your in town, why not drop in, I have a 13ft rowing boat. (way too small for your trip obviously)

      Aside, a few weeks ago I was at the absolute source of the murray, where a tiny stream comes out of a swamp (12 inches wide). Almost trod on an alpine copperhead snake which was 2ft away. You would not believe the number of feral horses at the top of the murray there.

      This is a bit off topic I know, where will you launch, Corryong? or the bridge near Khanchoben, or downstream of lake Hume.

      I think there are locks all the way? otherwise you would have to go lighter to allow your boat to be carried on a trolley, pretty sure there are locks all the way?

      I think sledge would be better than punch as waves are not big for the great majority of the trip, and the punt bow would make it much easier to get onto the river bank than a boat with a fine deep bow.

      Sounds like a really really fun trip
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 30, 2013
        A day or two delay for rough weather to move on; might be worth the extra room the square bow will give. A lot of choice of style of boat is dependent on if you must press on in weather or if you take a break and layup for a day or two. Being able to motor in thin water makes it easier to find calmer water.

        Of course I am writing this knowing nothing of the Murray river except what Alan has stated. I am located in N. America.

        The Motorboating issue with the 18 ft. Punt is 'Jan. 1942'. Enough info there to build from. Would not be too difficult to build in plywood.
        Bob R.

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 5, 2013
          Mack Angas's Utility. More "inspired by" Sedge than a stretch of the Atkin
          design:

          "When several small boats were needed recently for the Public Works
          Division of the Charleston Navy Yard, it was considered worth while to try
          and find or develop something better than the traditional bateau. Search
          of old files of yachting and boating magazines revealed in MoToR BoatinG
          for August, 1936, a promising little craft in Sedge from the board of
          William Atkin. Further consideration led to the conclusion, however, that
          Sedge was too small. Being mindful of Mr. Atkin's often reiterated
          warnings against altering his, or any other competent Naval Architect's
          designs, we therefore decided to adopt his basic idea of a punt type
          outboard driven utility boat and design a boat of the size needed. The
          result was Utility, as handy and useful an eighteen foot work boat as
          could he desired for the multitudinous odd jobs that fall to the lot of
          the survey party and waterfront gang at a shipyard."

          The Utility article and plans can be found in volumes 20, 24, 25, 32 & 41
          of the MoToR BoatinG Ideal series.

          --
          John (jkohnen@...)
          No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 5, 2013
            Utility can be found here: http://www.dngoodchild.com/5390.htm