RE: [AtkinBoats] Re: outboard motor boat design for trip down the river Murray Australia

  • Alan Boman
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 29 11:45 PM

      Remember that the River Murray has some very broad lakes. Lake Alexandrina is 50km of open and un-protected water, which can be quite rough!  Perhaps something with a bit more shape than a punt would be better.  What about Sprite, Punch or Calypso ?

      Alan

      From: Robert <bigwahoo@...>
      To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, March 29, 2013, 7:49 AM

      If I was going to build a little outboard boat for use on inland waterways I would definitely look at 'Sedge'. The square bow of a punt gives a lot of boat for the length. Plus an easy to build shape.

      http://atkinboatplans.com/Oar/Sedge.html

      Bob R.

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Moose" <aamarsh@...> wrote:

      > Which Atkins outboard motor boat design would be suitable for a 2000Km (1243mile) trip down the river Murray Australia? The out board motor is a British seagull century 100 (about 4.5 hp) and the boat should only draw 8". It will need to be able to happily do 10 KPH (6MPH). Also it would need to be big enough to camp on. Any ideas?
      > Alan

    • Peter Evans
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 30 6:44 AM
        Sledge looks nice

        maybe 1ft longer would just add a bit more carrying capacity, but at 15ft thats not too bad. A sunshade is a definate. Plywood would be easier to make than solid wood, either way a nice easy boat to make that looks well suited to what you want to do.

        By the way, where in Oz are you, melbourne here. If your in town, why not drop in, I have a 13ft rowing boat. (way too small for your trip obviously)

        Aside, a few weeks ago I was at the absolute source of the murray, where a tiny stream comes out of a swamp (12 inches wide). Almost trod on an alpine copperhead snake which was 2ft away. You would not believe the number of feral horses at the top of the murray there.

        This is a bit off topic I know, where will you launch, Corryong? or the bridge near Khanchoben, or downstream of lake Hume.

        I think there are locks all the way? otherwise you would have to go lighter to allow your boat to be carried on a trolley, pretty sure there are locks all the way?

        I think sledge would be better than punch as waves are not big for the great majority of the trip, and the punt bow would make it much easier to get onto the river bank than a boat with a fine deep bow.

        Sounds like a really really fun trip
      • Robert
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 30 6:51 AM
          A day or two delay for rough weather to move on; might be worth the extra room the square bow will give. A lot of choice of style of boat is dependent on if you must press on in weather or if you take a break and layup for a day or two. Being able to motor in thin water makes it easier to find calmer water.

          Of course I am writing this knowing nothing of the Murray river except what Alan has stated. I am located in N. America.

          The Motorboating issue with the 18 ft. Punt is 'Jan. 1942'. Enough info there to build from. Would not be too difficult to build in plywood.
          Bob R.

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 5, 2013
            Mack Angas's Utility. More "inspired by" Sedge than a stretch of the Atkin
            design:

            "When several small boats were needed recently for the Public Works
            Division of the Charleston Navy Yard, it was considered worth while to try
            and find or develop something better than the traditional bateau. Search
            of old files of yachting and boating magazines revealed in MoToR BoatinG
            for August, 1936, a promising little craft in Sedge from the board of
            William Atkin. Further consideration led to the conclusion, however, that
            Sedge was too small. Being mindful of Mr. Atkin's often reiterated
            warnings against altering his, or any other competent Naval Architect's
            designs, we therefore decided to adopt his basic idea of a punt type
            outboard driven utility boat and design a boat of the size needed. The
            result was Utility, as handy and useful an eighteen foot work boat as
            could he desired for the multitudinous odd jobs that fall to the lot of
            the survey party and waterfront gang at a shipyard."

            The Utility article and plans can be found in volumes 20, 24, 25, 32 & 41
            of the MoToR BoatinG Ideal series.

            --
            John (jkohnen@...)
            No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 5, 2013
              Utility can be found here: http://www.dngoodchild.com/5390.htm