Re: [AtkinBoats] New Member Saying Hello

  • Scott Holt
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
      John,
      Thanks for the link to Jim's homepage. Very
      informative. I would never take it upon my self to
      change any design for fear of botching the job. A
      designer I am not. Many boats out there for the
      backyard builder are not proven designs. Atkins
      designs are proven. That being the case I would not
      change the sailplan. I am a schooner man .....

      By the way I did not realize you are the same John
      from "The Mother of All Maritime Links." Great site
      and lots of fun and information. I use it often..

      Thanks.
      Scott

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Bruce Elfstrom
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
        Hello Scott. I know it's not an Atkin's, but I have a free Murray
        Peterson 44 Schooner here. Its in need of restoration, but she has
        very nice traditional coaster lines.

        Let me know---I will have some pix, etc on www.classicworkboat.com
        ASAP---some info already there.

        Cheers, Bruce
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
          Even if you're just changing the mainsail of a schooner check the center of
          effort. Of course if you change the mainsail to a gaff sail you're on your
          own and Mrs. Atkin won't have anything to do with you any more! ;o) Getting
          professional help shouldn't cost much, especially when you compare it to the
          cost of building the schooner. Jay Benford used to work for the Atkins, and
          is familiar with traditonal rigs. He'd be a good designer to ask for help:

          http://www.benford.us/

          If you had a professional draw a gaff mainsail for you Mrs. Atkin might even
          forgive you! ;o)

          On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:11:28 -0700 (PDT), Scott wrote:

          > John,
          > Thanks for the link to Jim's homepage. Very
          > informative. I would never take it upon my self to
          > change any design for fear of botching the job. A
          > designer I am not. Many boats out there for the
          > backyard builder are not proven designs. Atkins
          > designs are proven. That being the case I would not
          > change the sailplan. I am a schooner man .....

          There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism, and that is
          the impulse to punish the man with a superior capacity for happiness.
          <H. L. Mencken>
        • Scott Holt
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
            Thanks for the info Bruce. 43' is far to much boat
            for me. That's why I was so excited about finding
            Atkin's 30'/ 36' schooners.

            By the way I'm also in Okinawa, Japan. Another
            typhoon is heading our way..

            http://vote.yahoo.com
          • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004
              Welcome to the list, Scott. As long as the topic is current, let me add that I have put together a personal site for Atkin schooner enthusiasts called "A Celebration of Atkin Schooners". It is meant to be a place where those who are interested can get information and see other people's Atkin schooners. Frankly, it's just a shameless ploy on my part to find other Atkin schooner owners to talk to.

              Here is the URL:
              http://www.geocities.com/wmeparker

              I welcome all feedback that makes sense. The best way to leave that is via the guest book.

              Best,
              Bill

            • Scott Holt
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004
                Thanks for the link. I like it and can't wait for
                other Atkins schooner owners to send in their
                pictures. I added your site to my favorite site list
                and will check often for updates. Thanks..

                How can you not love the sight of a schooner..

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004

                      http://messenger.yahoo.com