Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: outboard motor boat design for trip down the river Murray Australia

Expand Messages
  • JohnA
    I d second Sedge, with some modifications. First, I would want a fixed canopy or roof in the stern, kind of like the setup on the African Queen, but smaller.
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      I'd second Sedge, with some modifications.

      First, I would want a fixed canopy or roof in the stern, kind of like the setup on the African Queen, but smaller.

      http://blog-imgs-49-origin.fc2.com/b/o/a/boat328/African-Queen-Boat-Plans-1.jpg

      1200 miles is a long way and the sun will be the biggest problem.

      Second, to get enough floor space to sleep on, I'd eliminate the forward thwart. That thwart helps support the sides, so you need to add something to give lateral support. What I'd do is extend the forward deck, perhaps with a low cabin top of some sort. I'm not sure if it would be possible to get sitting headspace, but that sure would be nice. The little covered space would give you a place to store clothes, sleeping bag, etc., and a place to huddle in the rain, with a one-burner stove, etc.

      Third, I might stretch her a bit... perhaps to 18 feet? She's such a simple boat that such a stretch shouldn't be a problem.

      Sounds like a fun trip!
    • JohnA
      ... Actually, it might be better for the canopy to cover the whole boat. That would give you great sun protection and you could make canvas sides that you
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        > First, I would want a fixed canopy or roof in the stern, kind of like the setup on the African Queen, but smaller.

        Actually, it might be better for the canopy to cover the whole boat. That would give you great sun protection and you could make canvas sides that you could tie up during the day, and let down at night, to give you rain and bug protection.

        That would be a very cozy setup, I think!
      • Mike
        There is an 18 foot version of Sedge in the Jan. 1942 issue of Motorboating done by a fan of the Atkins who worked in a navy yard. It can be viewed, but not
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          There is an 18 foot version of Sedge in the Jan. 1942 issue of Motorboating done by a fan of the Atkins who worked in a navy yard. It can be viewed, but not downloaded on googlebooks.



          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:
          >
          > I'd second Sedge, with some modifications.
          >
          > First, I would want a fixed canopy or roof in the stern, kind of like the setup on the African Queen, but smaller.
          >
          > http://blog-imgs-49-origin.fc2.com/b/o/a/boat328/African-Queen-Boat-Plans-1.jpg
          >
          > 1200 miles is a long way and the sun will be the biggest problem.
          >
          > Second, to get enough floor space to sleep on, I'd eliminate the forward thwart. That thwart helps support the sides, so you need to add something to give lateral support. What I'd do is extend the forward deck, perhaps with a low cabin top of some sort. I'm not sure if it would be possible to get sitting headspace, but that sure would be nice. The little covered space would give you a place to store clothes, sleeping bag, etc., and a place to huddle in the rain, with a one-burner stove, etc.
          >
          > Third, I might stretch her a bit... perhaps to 18 feet? She's such a simple boat that such a stretch shouldn't be a problem.
          >
          > Sounds like a fun trip!
          >
        • John Brice
          I recently completed the Atkin s Sprite , a 15 ft flat bottom skiff that really moves well with my antique Lauson 6hp.  See it at Atkin s boats and
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment
            I recently completed the Atkin's "Sprite", a 15 ft flat bottom skiff that really moves well with my antique Lauson 6hp.  See it at Atkin's boats and www.tinyurl.com /jb-sflatbottom.
             
            John Brice


            --- On Fri, 3/29/13, Robert <bigwahoo@...> wrote:

            From: Robert <bigwahoo@...>
            Subject: [AtkinBoats] Re: outboard motor boat design for trip down the river Murray Australia
            To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Friday, March 29, 2013, 7:49 AM

             
            If I was going to build a little outboard boat for use on inland waterways I would definitely look at 'Sedge'. The square bow of a punt gives a lot of boat for the length. Plus an easy to build shape.

            http://atkinboatplans.com/Oar/Sedge.html

            Bob R.

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Moose" <aamarsh@...> wrote:
            >
            > Which Atkins outboard motor boat design would be suitable for a 2000Km (1243mile) trip down the river Murray Australia? The out board motor is a British seagull century 100 (about 4.5 hp) and the boat should only draw 8". It will need to be able to happily do 10 KPH (6MPH). Also it would need to be big enough to camp on. Any ideas?
            > Alan
            >

          • Alan Boman
            Remember that the River Murray has some very broad lakes. Lake Alexandrina is 50km of open and un-protected water, which can be quite rough! Perhaps something
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment

              Remember that the River Murray has some very broad lakes. Lake Alexandrina is 50km of open and un-protected water, which can be quite rough!  Perhaps something with a bit more shape than a punt would be better.  What about Sprite, Punch or Calypso ?

               

              Alan

               

               

               

               

              From: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of John Brice
              Sent: Saturday, 30 March 2013 8:48 AM
              To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: outboard motor boat design for trip down the river Murray Australia

               

               

              I recently completed the Atkin's "Sprite", a 15 ft flat bottom skiff that really moves well with my antique Lauson 6hp.  See it at Atkin's boats and www.tinyurl.com /jb-sflatbottom.

               

              John Brice



              --- On Fri, 3/29/13, Robert <bigwahoo@...> wrote:


              From: Robert <bigwahoo@...>
              Subject: [AtkinBoats] Re: outboard motor boat design for trip down the river Murray Australia
              To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Friday, March 29, 2013, 7:49 AM

               

              If I was going to build a little outboard boat for use on inland waterways I would definitely look at 'Sedge'. The square bow of a punt gives a lot of boat for the length. Plus an easy to build shape.

              http://atkinboatplans.com/Oar/Sedge.html

              Bob R.

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Moose" <aamarsh@...> wrote:
              >
              > Which Atkins outboard motor boat design would be suitable for a 2000Km (1243mile) trip down the river Murray Australia? The out board motor is a British seagull century 100 (about 4.5 hp) and the boat should only draw 8". It will need to be able to happily do 10 KPH (6MPH). Also it would need to be big enough to camp on. Any ideas?
              > Alan
              >

            • Peter Evans
              Sledge looks nice maybe 1ft longer would just add a bit more carrying capacity, but at 15ft thats not too bad. A sunshade is a definate. Plywood would be
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 30, 2013
              View Source
              • 0 Attachment
                Sledge looks nice

                maybe 1ft longer would just add a bit more carrying capacity, but at 15ft thats not too bad. A sunshade is a definate. Plywood would be easier to make than solid wood, either way a nice easy boat to make that looks well suited to what you want to do.

                By the way, where in Oz are you, melbourne here. If your in town, why not drop in, I have a 13ft rowing boat. (way too small for your trip obviously)

                Aside, a few weeks ago I was at the absolute source of the murray, where a tiny stream comes out of a swamp (12 inches wide). Almost trod on an alpine copperhead snake which was 2ft away. You would not believe the number of feral horses at the top of the murray there.

                This is a bit off topic I know, where will you launch, Corryong? or the bridge near Khanchoben, or downstream of lake Hume.

                I think there are locks all the way? otherwise you would have to go lighter to allow your boat to be carried on a trolley, pretty sure there are locks all the way?

                I think sledge would be better than punch as waves are not big for the great majority of the trip, and the punt bow would make it much easier to get onto the river bank than a boat with a fine deep bow.

                Sounds like a really really fun trip
              • Robert
                A day or two delay for rough weather to move on; might be worth the extra room the square bow will give. A lot of choice of style of boat is dependent on if
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 30, 2013
                View Source
                • 0 Attachment
                  A day or two delay for rough weather to move on; might be worth the extra room the square bow will give. A lot of choice of style of boat is dependent on if you must press on in weather or if you take a break and layup for a day or two. Being able to motor in thin water makes it easier to find calmer water.

                  Of course I am writing this knowing nothing of the Murray river except what Alan has stated. I am located in N. America.

                  The Motorboating issue with the 18 ft. Punt is 'Jan. 1942'. Enough info there to build from. Would not be too difficult to build in plywood.
                  Bob R.



                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Boman" <alan@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Remember that the River Murray has some very broad lakes. Lake Alexandrina is 50km of open and un-protected water, which can be quite rough! Perhaps something with a bit more shape than a punt would be better. What about Sprite, Punch or Calypso ?
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > Alan
                  >
                • John Kohnen
                  Mack Angas s Utility. More inspired by Sedge than a stretch of the Atkin design: When several small boats were needed recently for the Public Works Division
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 5 10:34 AM
                  View Source
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Mack Angas's Utility. More "inspired by" Sedge than a stretch of the Atkin
                    design:

                    "When several small boats were needed recently for the Public Works
                    Division of the Charleston Navy Yard, it was considered worth while to try
                    and find or develop something better than the traditional bateau. Search
                    of old files of yachting and boating magazines revealed in MoToR BoatinG
                    for August, 1936, a promising little craft in Sedge from the board of
                    William Atkin. Further consideration led to the conclusion, however, that
                    Sedge was too small. Being mindful of Mr. Atkin's often reiterated
                    warnings against altering his, or any other competent Naval Architect's
                    designs, we therefore decided to adopt his basic idea of a punt type
                    outboard driven utility boat and design a boat of the size needed. The
                    result was Utility, as handy and useful an eighteen foot work boat as
                    could he desired for the multitudinous odd jobs that fall to the lot of
                    the survey party and waterfront gang at a shipyard."

                    The Utility article and plans can be found in volumes 20, 24, 25, 32 & 41
                    of the MoToR BoatinG Ideal series.

                    On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:00:27 -0700, Mike wrote:

                    > There is an 18 foot version of Sedge in the Jan. 1942 issue of
                    > Motorboating done by a fan of the Atkins who worked in a navy yard. It
                    > can be viewed, but not downloaded on googlebooks.

                    --
                    John (jkohnen@...)
                    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
                    society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we
                    shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for
                    stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. (P.J. O'Rourke)
                  • Greg
                    Utility can be found here: http://www.dngoodchild.com/5390.htm
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 5 5:55 PM
                    View Source
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Utility can be found here: http://www.dngoodchild.com/5390.htm




                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Mack Angas's Utility. More "inspired by" Sedge than a stretch of the Atkin
                      > design:
                      >
                      > "When several small boats were needed recently for the Public Works
                      > Division of the Charleston Navy Yard, it was considered worth while to try
                      > and find or develop something better than the traditional bateau. Search
                      > of old files of yachting and boating magazines revealed in MoToR BoatinG
                      > for August, 1936, a promising little craft in Sedge from the board of
                      > William Atkin. Further consideration led to the conclusion, however, that
                      > Sedge was too small. Being mindful of Mr. Atkin's often reiterated
                      > warnings against altering his, or any other competent Naval Architect's
                      > designs, we therefore decided to adopt his basic idea of a punt type
                      > outboard driven utility boat and design a boat of the size needed. The
                      > result was Utility, as handy and useful an eighteen foot work boat as
                      > could he desired for the multitudinous odd jobs that fall to the lot of
                      > the survey party and waterfront gang at a shipyard."
                      >
                      > The Utility article and plans can be found in volumes 20, 24, 25, 32 & 41
                      > of the MoToR BoatinG Ideal series.
                      >
                      > On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:00:27 -0700, Mike wrote:
                      >
                      > > There is an 18 foot version of Sedge in the Jan. 1942 issue of
                      > > Motorboating done by a fan of the Atkins who worked in a navy yard. It
                      > > can be viewed, but not downloaded on googlebooks.
                      >
                      > --
                      > John (jkohnen@...)
                      > No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
                      > society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we
                      > shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for
                      > stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. (P.J. O'Rourke)
                      >
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.