Re: [AtkinBoats] New Member Saying Hello

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
      Welcome aboard Scott! Schooners have been switched back and forth between
      Marconi and gaff mainsails before. You've got to be careful not to move the
      center of effort of the sail plan very much, or you'll spoil the sailing
      balance of the boat. Jim Michalak (rhymes with "metallic") has a good
      introduction to figuring out sail areas and centers of effort here:

      http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/15jun04.htm

      Of course it's more complicated with all the sails a schooner carries! <g>
      Just use the working sails for the math, not the light weather stuff.

      On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:53:16 -0000, Scott wrote:
      > I've been looking for a traditional style
      > boat be it schooner, cutter, or sloop. I found the boat, or should I
      > say boats, because I don't know which one I like the best. My
      > selections are ""America Junior", "Little Maid of Kent", and of
      > course "Island Princess". Schooners ever last one of them. The boat
      > that stirs the heart and sole of everyone, sailor or not. The
      > dicision is difficult because the gaff mainsail of "America Junior" I
      > think would look great on the other two boats. If that was the case,
      > the decision would be easy. "Island Princess" would win. I know the
      > Atkins say don't change anything in the design, but if you have a
      > gaff sail of equal size (to include reef points) as the current
      > marconi design would it work? I don't see why not. Anyone's
      > thoughts or comments...

      One boat just leads to another.
      <John Kohnen>
    • Scott Holt
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
        John,
        Thanks for the link to Jim's homepage. Very
        informative. I would never take it upon my self to
        change any design for fear of botching the job. A
        designer I am not. Many boats out there for the
        backyard builder are not proven designs. Atkins
        designs are proven. That being the case I would not
        change the sailplan. I am a schooner man .....

        By the way I did not realize you are the same John
        from "The Mother of All Maritime Links." Great site
        and lots of fun and information. I use it often..

        Thanks.
        Scott

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Bruce Elfstrom
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
          Hello Scott. I know it's not an Atkin's, but I have a free Murray
          Peterson 44 Schooner here. Its in need of restoration, but she has
          very nice traditional coaster lines.

          Let me know---I will have some pix, etc on www.classicworkboat.com
          ASAP---some info already there.

          Cheers, Bruce
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
            Even if you're just changing the mainsail of a schooner check the center of
            effort. Of course if you change the mainsail to a gaff sail you're on your
            own and Mrs. Atkin won't have anything to do with you any more! ;o) Getting
            professional help shouldn't cost much, especially when you compare it to the
            cost of building the schooner. Jay Benford used to work for the Atkins, and
            is familiar with traditonal rigs. He'd be a good designer to ask for help:

            http://www.benford.us/

            If you had a professional draw a gaff mainsail for you Mrs. Atkin might even
            forgive you! ;o)

            On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:11:28 -0700 (PDT), Scott wrote:

            > John,
            > Thanks for the link to Jim's homepage. Very
            > informative. I would never take it upon my self to
            > change any design for fear of botching the job. A
            > designer I am not. Many boats out there for the
            > backyard builder are not proven designs. Atkins
            > designs are proven. That being the case I would not
            > change the sailplan. I am a schooner man .....

            There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism, and that is
            the impulse to punish the man with a superior capacity for happiness.
            <H. L. Mencken>
          • Scott Holt
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
              Thanks for the info Bruce. 43' is far to much boat
              for me. That's why I was so excited about finding
              Atkin's 30'/ 36' schooners.

              By the way I'm also in Okinawa, Japan. Another
              typhoon is heading our way..

              http://vote.yahoo.com
            • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004
                Welcome to the list, Scott. As long as the topic is current, let me add that I have put together a personal site for Atkin schooner enthusiasts called "A Celebration of Atkin Schooners". It is meant to be a place where those who are interested can get information and see other people's Atkin schooners. Frankly, it's just a shameless ploy on my part to find other Atkin schooner owners to talk to.

                Here is the URL:
                http://www.geocities.com/wmeparker

                I welcome all feedback that makes sense. The best way to leave that is via the guest book.

                Best,
                Bill

              • Scott Holt
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004
                  Thanks for the link. I like it and can't wait for
                  other Atkins schooner owners to send in their
                  pictures. I added your site to my favorite site list
                  and will check often for updates. Thanks..

                  How can you not love the sight of a schooner..

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004

                        http://messenger.yahoo.com