RE: [AtkinBoats] Mystery boat on Lady Ben

  • expeditions
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013

      Ingrid or thistle designed by the Bill

      From: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of david gerstel
      Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:04 PM
      To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Mystery boat on Lady Ben

      hello all

      its not a vixen, which was designed in 1950 or so.  and the hull shape is wrong.

      david
                  i know vixen. our boat, ariel, is a vixen design. pictures on the atkin website.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
        Looking at only the size ( the advert says length over 40ft ) - and the hull lines...

        ...I would say that it is a Gundred - with a single mast.

        http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Sail/Gundred.html

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013

          seem the LOA included the bowsprit or something - look at LWL for more accurate numbers.  Points to a smaller hull., in addition the beam is 11ft, so its beamier.

          Looking at only the size ( the advert says length over 40ft ) - and the hull lines...

          ...I would say that it is a Gundred - with a single mast.

          http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Sail/Gundred.html

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" wrote:

          > Anyone know anything about the Atkin listed on Lady Ben? The design isn't specified, but it looks like a Vixen to me:
          >
          > http://www.ladyben.com/SearchResultsFull.asp?VesselID=4357

        • Paul Behnken
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
            Looks like an Eric to me....
            http://www.boatersresources.com/bfs_detail.php?adid=106897
          • mrk_gillett
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
              a quality survey would be money well spent. as beautiful as it is, it is an 86 year old boat.

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Paul Behnken wrote:

              > Looks like an Eric to me....
              > http://www.boatersresources.com/bfs_detail.php?adid=106897

            • JohnA
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
                From the "Brokers Comments", sounds like she might be a slight variation from the Eric, but in that size range. A "Victoria", perhaps?

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
                  I think I remember this boat as a kid in Florida, used to belong to a friend of my parents.  She's listed in the Register of Wooden Boats (woodenboat.com) as belonging to a Jack Donowho (no kidding) in St. Petersburg, but I suspect that's old info.  Jack is still around, near as I can tell.  You have me curious.