Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Island princess square sail

  • paul hennig
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2013
      David and Bob, I don't know the answers to the questions you raised because when I looked at the mast I did not know what to look for. As soon as I'm able to get to the boat I'll check out the fore mast for all that. In the mean time I'd like to the thread on square sails how do I access it. I am a member but?? Thanks Paul

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2013
        Bill Harpster's Boat, s/v Joshua out of Camano Island north of Seattle is a replica of Joshua Slocum's Spray.  Bill sails her as a square rigger.

        I'm guessing he would be pleased to fill your ear with useful advice on the subject.  I don't have Bill's contact details, but I'm guessing someone on the list might.

        The link to his boat at the festival:

        http://woodenboat.org/boats/Boat_Detail.aspx?processID=658

        On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM, paul hennig <hennigpaul@...> wrote:

        David and Bob, I don't know the answers to the questions you raised because when I looked at the mast I did not know what to look for. As soon as I'm able to get to the boat I'll check out the fore mast for all that. In the mean time I'd like to the thread on square sails how do I access it. I am a member but?? Thanks Paul

        On 1/8/2013 11:21 AM, Bob Johnson wrote:

        Paul,

        If you look back through the message archive, I think this was
        discussed about a year or so ago here. There are a lot of different
        ways to rig and set the square sail. What gear do you have, and how is
        it rigged? Is the yard held permanantly aloft, or is it normally stored
        on deck? Is there a track or wire jackstay on the fore side of the
        foremast? Try to describe as best you can exactly what gear seems to
        be associated with the square sail and yard, and maybe we can help you
        figure out how to use it.

        Bob

        > 1. Island princess square sail
        > From: Paul Hennig
        >

        > Message
        > _
        > 1. Island princess square sail
        > Posted by: "Paul Hennig" hennigpaul@... hennigpaul
        > Date: Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:22 pm ((PST))
        >
        > I recently purchased a steel Island Princess with a square sail on the
        > fore mast. Sounds great! Anybody have any information on how to rig
        > and fly it. Thanks Paul

        No virus found in this message.

      • Bob Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 11, 2013
          The previous discussion of Square Sails was a little further back than
          I remembered, it was in January of 2010.
          If you go to the Yahoo website, you should be able to go back and find
          those messages.

          Bob