Island princess square sail

  • Paul Hennig
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2013
      I recently purchased a steel Island Princess with a square sail on the fore mast. Sounds great! Anybody have any information on how to rig and fly it. Thanks Paul
    • Bob Johnson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2013
        Paul,

        If you look back through the message archive, I think this was
        discussed about a year or so ago here. There are a lot of different
        ways to rig and set the square sail. What gear do you have, and how is
        it rigged? Is the yard held permanantly aloft, or is it normally stored
        on deck? Is there a track or wire jackstay on the fore side of the
        foremast? Try to describe as best you can exactly what gear seems to
        be associated with the square sail and yard, and maybe we can help you
        figure out how to use it.

        Bob

        > 1. Island princess square sail
        > From: Paul Hennig
        >

        > Message
        > _
        > 1. Island princess square sail
        > Posted by: "Paul Hennig" hennigpaul@... hennigpaul
        > Date: Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:22 pm ((PST))
        >
        > I recently purchased a steel Island Princess with a square sail on the
        > fore mast. Sounds great! Anybody have any information on how to rig
        > and fly it. Thanks Paul

      • david gerstel
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2013

          On 1/8/2013 11:21 AM, Bob Johnson wrote:

          Paul,

          If you look back through the message archive, I think this was
          discussed about a year or so ago here. There are a lot of different
          ways to rig and set the square sail. What gear do you have, and how is
          it rigged? Is the yard held permanantly aloft, or is it normally stored
          on deck? Is there a track or wire jackstay on the fore side of the
          foremast? Try to describe as best you can exactly what gear seems to
          be associated with the square sail and yard, and maybe we can help you
          figure out how to use it.

          Bob

          > 1. Island princess square sail
          > From: Paul Hennig
          >

          > Message
          > _
          > 1. Island princess square sail
          > Posted by: "Paul Hennig" hennigpaul@... hennigpaul
          > Date: Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:22 pm ((PST))
          >
          > I recently purchased a steel Island Princess with a square sail on the
          > fore mast. Sounds great! Anybody have any information on how to rig
          > and fly it. Thanks Paul

          No virus found in this message.

        • david gerstel
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2013
            Paul,

            This is good advice.  The first thing to do is go to a library and pull out some of the great books on square rig.  Look at the designs of Garden, and the man who designed Varua.  Among others. Its important to realize your boat is small, and most of the gear can be manhandled. But it has to be simple. I vote for a permanently rigged yard. And Port Townsend foundry is about the best shop to cast the crane to hold the yard aloft. After that, its trial and error.

            david
            Ariel, the Vixen design.

            On 1/8/2013 11:21 AM, Bob Johnson wrote:

            Paul,

            If you look back through the message archive, I think this was
            discussed about a year or so ago here. There are a lot of different
            ways to rig and set the square sail. What gear do you have, and how is
            it rigged? Is the yard held permanantly aloft, or is it normally stored
            on deck? Is there a track or wire jackstay on the fore side of the
            foremast? Try to describe as best you can exactly what gear seems to
            be associated with the square sail and yard, and maybe we can help you
            figure out how to use it.

            Bob

            > 1. Island princess square sail
            > From: Paul Hennig
            >
            >the
            > Message
            > _
            > 1. Island princess square sail
            > Posted by: "Paul Hennig" hennigpaul@... hennigpaul
            > Date: Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:22 pm ((PST))
            >
            > I recently purchased a steel Island Princess with a square sail on the
            > fore mast. Sounds great! Anybody have any information on how to rig
            > and fly it. Thanks Paul

            No virus found in this message.

          • paul hennig
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2013
              David and Bob, I don't know the answers to the questions you raised because when I looked at the mast I did not know what to look for. As soon as I'm able to get to the boat I'll check out the fore mast for all that. In the mean time I'd like to the thread on square sails how do I access it. I am a member but?? Thanks Paul

              On 1/8/2013 11:21 AM, Bob Johnson wrote:

              Paul,

              If you look back through the message archive, I think this was
              discussed about a year or so ago here. There are a lot of different
              ways to rig and set the square sail. What gear do you have, and how is
              it rigged? Is the yard held permanantly aloft, or is it normally stored
              on deck? Is there a track or wire jackstay on the fore side of the
              foremast? Try to describe as best you can exactly what gear seems to
              be associated with the square sail and yard, and maybe we can help you
              figure out how to use it.

              Bob

              > 1. Island princess square sail
              > From: Paul Hennig
              >

              > Message
              > _
              > 1. Island princess square sail
              > Posted by: "Paul Hennig" hennigpaul@... hennigpaul
              > Date: Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:22 pm ((PST))
              >
              > I recently purchased a steel Island Princess with a square sail on the
              > fore mast. Sounds great! Anybody have any information on how to rig
              > and fly it. Thanks Paul

              No virus found in this message.

            • stu
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 8, 2013
                Bill Harpster's Boat, s/v Joshua out of Camano Island north of Seattle is a replica of Joshua Slocum's Spray.  Bill sails her as a square rigger.

                I'm guessing he would be pleased to fill your ear with useful advice on the subject.  I don't have Bill's contact details, but I'm guessing someone on the list might.

                The link to his boat at the festival:

                http://woodenboat.org/boats/Boat_Detail.aspx?processID=658

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 11, 2013
                  The previous discussion of Square Sails was a little further back than
                  I remembered, it was in January of 2010.
                  If you go to the Yahoo website, you should be able to go back and find
                  those messages.

                  Bob