"Stepby" info sought

  • ztiurk
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2004
      Hi All:

      I'm new here, and have known about John K's site for some time owing
      to his Ideal Series pages, and his link to the Atkin pages. I just
      got a "Practical Series - Vol 1" from Motor Boating today (dated
      1918) and inside was a loose MB plan of Stepby - doesn't appear to be
      from the book oddly enough. I was curious to know what year that boat
      was drawn up, and if anyone know of any examples around today. It's
      a nice 23' double ender which might lend itself nicely to being set
      for electric power. It's listed in a couple of the Ideal Series
      books.

      Best regards,

      Dan Kruitz
      Elgin, IL
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 17, 2004
        Welcome aboard dan! The earliest volume of the Ideal Series my index shows
        Stepby in is #9. My copy has a copyright date of 1927, so the boat was
        designed before then. That's probably as close as we'll get to dating
        Stepby, unless the plans exist and Mrs. Atkin sees this thread and digs them
        up so we can get the number and make a better guess, or there might even
        be a date on them somewhere...

        Stepby is a high-speed boat in spite of the sharp stern. Just look at that
        flat run! She probably wouldn't be a good choice for electric power.

        On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 02:52:56 -0000, Dan K wrote:
        > Hi All:
        >
        > I'm new here, and have known about John K's site for some time owing
        > to his Ideal Series pages, and his link to the Atkin pages. I just
        > got a "Practical Series - Vol 1" from Motor Boating today (dated
        > 1918) and inside was a loose MB plan of Stepby - doesn't appear to be
        > from the book oddly enough. I was curious to know what year that boat
        > was drawn up, and if anyone know of any examples around today. It's
        > a nice 23' double ender which might lend itself nicely to being set
        > for electric power. It's listed in a couple of the Ideal Series
        > books.

        Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
        <Mark Twain>
      • ztiurk
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 17, 2004
          Hi John:

          The only other clue on there is that the plans are from the "Motor
          Boating Build a Boat Series" I don't know if that directly coincides
          with the Ideal Series books or not.

          I thought it seemed kind of rounded, but I guess you're right, from
          the engine back it's a pretty straight run.

          Side note: This book is the first I'd heard of the "Practical Series"
          from MB, the Ideal Series seems to be much more popular - has anyone
          seen the Practical Series before? I'll send you some photos John.

          Dan

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 17, 2004
            Most of the MoToR BoatinG Ideal Series books consist of reprints of the
            "Build a Boat" articles. It sounds like you have a copy of the article
            straight from the magazine. Does it have blueprints?

            If you want to go 25 mph Stepby will do it with a lot less horsepower than
            most boats her size nowadays! She'd go slow pretty well too, without wasting
            a bunch of power making a big wake. She wouldn't make a _bad_ electric boat,
            in fact if you wanted to try making an electric-powered speedster she might
            be a good choice. A big electric motor -- say 25 hp. -- and a big pile of
            batteries might not weigh much more than a 1920s era high-speed 40 hp.
            marine engine... But for the best efficiency at displacement speeds a hull
            that isn't designed to cope with high speeds would be better.

            I too have volume 1 of the Practical Series. It was advertised rather
            ambiguously, something like "volume one of MoToR BoatinG series" and I
            bought it sight unseen thinking it might be volume one of the _Ideal_
            series. I was sure surprised when I found out it was number one of the
            _Practical_ series, which I hadn't heard of before... But it wasn't terribly
            expensive, and is an interesting book in its own right. Here's an ad for the
            series from Ideal Series volume 9 (1927). What happened to volumes one and
            two?

            On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:07:06 -0000, Dan wrote:

            > The only other clue on there is that the plans are from the "Motor
            > Boating Build a Boat Series" I don't know if that directly coincides
            > with the Ideal Series books or not.
            >
            > I thought it seemed kind of rounded, but I guess you're right, from
            > the engine back it's a pretty straight run.
            >
            > Side note: This book is the first I'd heard of the "Practical Series"
            > from MB, the Ideal Series seems to be much more popular - has anyone
            > seen the Practical Series before? I'll send you some photos John.

            One boat just leads to another.
            <John Kohnen>