Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Propeller shaft layout

  • Phil Padovano
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 24, 2012
      Thank you.

      From: vagabandero <pbehnken@...>
      To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:59 PM
      Subject: [AtkinBoats] Re: Propeller shaft layout

      Good point, I'm thinking of building a Sergeant Faunce which shows the same type of prop layout. I think the issue is vibration due to shaft flex, which should be the same regardless of whether there's a strut or bearing in the keel. Obviously, power is also a factor. I'd be interested in other input. I wouldn't think that extending the keel would hurt, but water flow to the prop is always a consideration. Keels extending close to the prop are usually scalloped to allow better water flow.