New Member Saying Hello

  • sdholt
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 14, 2004
      Greeting to all from Okinawa, Japan. A true island paradise.

      Can't believe after all the time (years) and money I've spent
      looking for just the right boat and I stumble on to
      Atkinboatplans.com. I've always equated the Atkins with double-
      enders. What a surprise.. I've been looking for a traditional style
      boat be it schooner, cutter, or sloop. I found the boat, or should I
      say boats, because I don't know which one I like the best. My
      selections are ""America Junior", "Little Maid of Kent", and of
      course "Island Princess". Schooners ever last one of them. The boat
      that stirs the heart and sole of everyone, sailor or not. The
      dicision is difficult because the gaff mainsail of "America Junior" I
      think would look great on the other two boats. If that was the case,
      the decision would be easy. "Island Princess" would win. I know the
      Atkins say don't change anything in the design, but if you have a
      gaff sail of equal size (to include reef points) as the current
      marconi design would it work? I don't see why not. Anyone's
      thoughts or comments...

      Arrrg....
    • sdholt
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 14, 2004
        By the way the name is Scott.
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
          Welcome aboard Scott! Schooners have been switched back and forth between
          Marconi and gaff mainsails before. You've got to be careful not to move the
          center of effort of the sail plan very much, or you'll spoil the sailing
          balance of the boat. Jim Michalak (rhymes with "metallic") has a good
          introduction to figuring out sail areas and centers of effort here:

          http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/15jun04.htm

          Of course it's more complicated with all the sails a schooner carries! <g>
          Just use the working sails for the math, not the light weather stuff.

          On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:53:16 -0000, Scott wrote:
          > I've been looking for a traditional style
          > boat be it schooner, cutter, or sloop. I found the boat, or should I
          > say boats, because I don't know which one I like the best. My
          > selections are ""America Junior", "Little Maid of Kent", and of
          > course "Island Princess". Schooners ever last one of them. The boat
          > that stirs the heart and sole of everyone, sailor or not. The
          > dicision is difficult because the gaff mainsail of "America Junior" I
          > think would look great on the other two boats. If that was the case,
          > the decision would be easy. "Island Princess" would win. I know the
          > Atkins say don't change anything in the design, but if you have a
          > gaff sail of equal size (to include reef points) as the current
          > marconi design would it work? I don't see why not. Anyone's
          > thoughts or comments...

          One boat just leads to another.
          <John Kohnen>
        • Scott Holt
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
            John,
            Thanks for the link to Jim's homepage. Very
            informative. I would never take it upon my self to
            change any design for fear of botching the job. A
            designer I am not. Many boats out there for the
            backyard builder are not proven designs. Atkins
            designs are proven. That being the case I would not
            change the sailplan. I am a schooner man .....

            By the way I did not realize you are the same John
            from "The Mother of All Maritime Links." Great site
            and lots of fun and information. I use it often..

            Thanks.
            Scott

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Bruce Elfstrom
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
              Hello Scott. I know it's not an Atkin's, but I have a free Murray
              Peterson 44 Schooner here. Its in need of restoration, but she has
              very nice traditional coaster lines.

              Let me know---I will have some pix, etc on www.classicworkboat.com
              ASAP---some info already there.

              Cheers, Bruce
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                Even if you're just changing the mainsail of a schooner check the center of
                effort. Of course if you change the mainsail to a gaff sail you're on your
                own and Mrs. Atkin won't have anything to do with you any more! ;o) Getting
                professional help shouldn't cost much, especially when you compare it to the
                cost of building the schooner. Jay Benford used to work for the Atkins, and
                is familiar with traditonal rigs. He'd be a good designer to ask for help:

                http://www.benford.us/

                If you had a professional draw a gaff mainsail for you Mrs. Atkin might even
                forgive you! ;o)

                On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:11:28 -0700 (PDT), Scott wrote:

                > John,
                > Thanks for the link to Jim's homepage. Very
                > informative. I would never take it upon my self to
                > change any design for fear of botching the job. A
                > designer I am not. Many boats out there for the
                > backyard builder are not proven designs. Atkins
                > designs are proven. That being the case I would not
                > change the sailplan. I am a schooner man .....

                There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism, and that is
                the impulse to punish the man with a superior capacity for happiness.
                <H. L. Mencken>
              • Scott Holt
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 17, 2004
                  Thanks for the info Bruce. 43' is far to much boat
                  for me. That's why I was so excited about finding
                  Atkin's 30'/ 36' schooners.

                  By the way I'm also in Okinawa, Japan. Another
                  typhoon is heading our way..

                  http://vote.yahoo.com
                • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004
                    Welcome to the list, Scott. As long as the topic is current, let me add that I have put together a personal site for Atkin schooner enthusiasts called "A Celebration of Atkin Schooners". It is meant to be a place where those who are interested can get information and see other people's Atkin schooners. Frankly, it's just a shameless ploy on my part to find other Atkin schooner owners to talk to.

                    Here is the URL:
                    http://www.geocities.com/wmeparker

                    I welcome all feedback that makes sense. The best way to leave that is via the guest book.

                    Best,
                    Bill

                  • Scott Holt
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004
                      Thanks for the link. I like it and can't wait for
                      other Atkins schooner owners to send in their
                      pictures. I added your site to my favorite site list
                      and will check often for updates. Thanks..

                      How can you not love the sight of a schooner..

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 18, 2004

                            http://messenger.yahoo.com