Elon Jessup Skiff

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 29, 2012
      Hi,
      Anyone built this design or currently building it? I have been reviewing the huge number of skiff designs available, and this is one that has caught my eye. I like the lines, the flared bow, and I am not in a hurry; 8-12mph would be just fine for pottering around and fishing. I have an older (2 Stroke) short shaft Merc 7.5 that looks like it mught be a good match for this hull.
      Cheers
      Rich
    • John Frodigh
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 29, 2012
        If you can go a little bigger and inboard, look what Choptank Boatworks did with the plans for Frank Toop.
        Sure beats a Hinckley for style and class.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 29, 2012
          I recently finished building the Atkin "Sprite" flat bottom skiff.  It was quite a project.  I have built a couple of cedar strip canoes but this was a bigger challenge and more sense of accomplishment.  It is all assembled with epoxy, no metal fastenings, and coated inside and out with West System epoxy.  I am using a "53 6 hp Lauson 4 cycle, air cooled outboard that really moves it along.  See my project at www.tinyurl.com/jb-sflatbottom.

          John, Oxford, Michigan

          Anyone built this design or currently building it? I have been reviewing the huge number of skiff designs available, and this is one that has caught my eye. I like the lines, the flared bow, and I am not in a hurry; 8-12mph would be just fine for pottering around and fishing. I have an older (2 Stroke) short shaft Merc 7.5 that looks like it mught be a good match for this hull.
          Cheers
          Rich

        • Ben Callaway
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 29, 2012
            Absolutely beautiful! Each picture put a huge smile on my face..

            Ben, Atlanta, Georgia

          • mark@mgillett.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 29, 2012
              Rich,
              I am by no means an expert but in reading reviews of Atkin's designs I believe that moving the 350lbs from the middle of the boat to the stern would be a mistake. In a craft of this size changing that much weight would compromise the designed performance. I would consider electric power with the power and batteries to replace the original engine. I remember seeing one of Atkins tunnel boats that had a modern engine of significantly less weight and it changed how the craft went through the water. Remember that Atkins designed some rocker in the design so you need to account for how the change in weight would affect the designed waterline
              Just a thought
              Mark
              Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

              From: "Richard" <mecheng35@...>
              Sender: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 19:00:37 -0000
              To: <AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com

              Hi,
              Anyone built this design or currently building it? I have been reviewing the huge number of skiff designs available, and this is one that has caught my eye. I like the lines, the flared bow, and I am not in a hurry; 8-12mph would be just fine for pottering around and fishing. I have an older (2 Stroke) short shaft Merc 7.5 that looks like it mught be a good match for this hull.
              Cheers
              Rich

            • John Brice
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 30, 2012
                Thanks, and if I can be of any help don't hesitate.

                John

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 31, 2012
                  Beautiful job John, that really motivates me.
                  Thanks for posting.
                  Rich (Fayetteville, GA)
                • Richard
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 31, 2012
                    Mark,
                    Elon Jessup appears to have been designed for outboard power, and the 7.5 merc weighs 64 lbs (older 2 stroke, manual start), so with an extension, I'm hoping I can move a bit forward and maintain trim. I'm not looking for planing performance and recognize the limitations of the displacement hull, I want to carry a decent load at around 8-12 mph. In the design brief on the Atkins website, he notes a 10-12 hp should push it at 15-17mph, which would be plenty. Thoughts anyone?
                    Rich

                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, mark@... wrote:

                    > Rich,
                    > I am by no means an expert but in reading reviews of Atkin's designs I believe that moving the 350lbs from the middle of the boat to the stern would be a mistake. In a craft of this size changing that much weight would compromise the designed performance. I would consider electric power with the power and batteries to replace the original engine. I remember seeing one of Atkins tunnel boats that had a modern engine of significantly less weight and it changed how the craft went through the water. Remember that Atkins designed some rocker in the design so you need to account for how the change in weight would affect the designed waterline
                    > Just a thought
                    > Mark
                    > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                  • JohnA
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 31, 2012
                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <mecheng35@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      > Anyone built this design or currently building it? I have been reviewing the huge number of skiff designs available, and this is one that has caught my eye. I like the lines, the flared bow, and I am not in a hurry; 8-12mph would be just fine for pottering around and fishing. I have an older (2 Stroke) short shaft Merc 7.5 that looks like it mught be a good match for this hull.
                      > Cheers
                      > Rich

                      Probably not, but it is very similar to many other Atkin designs. There's a lot of experience here and on the Wooden Boat forum that you can draw on that will be applicable.

                      If you're interested, here is a list of books and articles by the original Elon Jessup, who lived in Huntington (my home town) where W. Atkin had his first boat shop.

                      http://www.unz.org/Author/JessupElon
                    • mark@mgillett.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 31, 2012
                        Rich,
                        I apologize, some how I got it in my head  that you were looking at Frank Toop.
                        Maybe someone suggested it.
                        Best of luck on your build.
                        As always post pictures of your success.