Black Pearl Status

  • mikmet71
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20 5:56 AM
      Just thought I'd send an update on my status here in Kennebunkport ME on the Black Pearl, a 36' Atkin Little Maid of Kent schooner.. Getting a little low on the inspiration front. Need to get some work done before the curtain closes on 2012 (aka dark and snow). Had some major setbacks with more rot in deadwood and tailfeather.
      Now challenged with 1" keel bolts, considering taking the inexpensive route and using l-shaped galvanized steel anchor bolts, with the bent heads cut off and square nuts welded on, then coated with epoxy.. I have some 1" (naval?) bronze prop shaft, but with the required threading, and nuts at $20 each, I'm looking at a great cost for 10 or so bolts.
      Thinking about looking for a partner on this project at this point, running out of steam!
      Sorry about that first post - I forgot to send the link!
      https://picasaweb.google.com/108044486270473249389/BlackPearl_repairs?authuser=0&feat=directlink
    • William E. Parker
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21 5:57 AM

        I don't know how inspiring I'll be, but it looks to me like you've done great work so far, and have done a lot of it.  She is lucky to have someone willing to do things right as opposed to fast.  I am referring here to the boat.  Your wife, I am sure, is wondering if you will ever wake up from this particular obsession.  I looks like you have put up a shelter, which is good, as I can tell you from experience if you don't work through the winter, you lose a lot of momentum.  Obviously it is best in a northerly location to get as much gluing done before being weathered in, then make patterns or do whatever you need to do to use the cold time to make parts, as that doesn't require gluing.

        I am about to utter heresy here, so the rest of you just stop up your ears.  If you can't use bronze, use what you can for the keel bolts, as long as they are galvanized or stainless.  I have been around wooden boats since childhood, and have never heard of a boat with stainless keel boats needing to be refitted.  I'm sure it has happened.  I used stainless for mine because the cost of threaded silicon bronze was just astronomical, and using any other kind of bronze will not get you the length of service you are looking for, from what I understand.  It is more important to use the right diameter, and to keep the water out as best you can.  Using water stops in the keel, etc. is important, and putting red lead in the holes also helps with the rot question.  Bronze will last the longest, no question, but it is better for the boat to get it done and buttoned-up than to wait for months to have the money, particularly when you are storing outside.

        On the question of a partner, if you know of someone you can live with, great.  If not, it is fraught with peril.  Keep her dry, do what you can with the money you have, is my advice.  Easy for me to say.

        Be of good cheer, soldier on, you are farther along than you think.

        Best wishes,

        Bill Parker

        Florence Oakland Schooner Charlene

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 21 7:49 AM
          I always say, I can do anything, if I do it slowly enough. With boats, you just have to take the time needed, which -- in my limited experience -- is usually 3X what I first thought it would be.

          It might help to make a list of JUST the things needed to get her back in the water with a sound hull. Once she's afloat, you can make a list of all the things needed to get her sailing. When that list is done, what you need to build for comfortable cruising, and so on.

          The point is you can have a lot of fun on a boat, even if she never leaves the mooring while you work on her rigging. And you can do a whole lot of sailing/cruising in an empty hull. You don't have to wait until she's done before you launch her.

          You just gotta take it one step at a time, with the goal of getting as much fun as possible out of her, as you go along.

          That's my two-cents, anyway!

          — John

          "What people say you cannot do, you try and find you can." -- Thoreau