Re: Scale of Drawings

  • JohnA
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2012
      Its generally bad practice to take measurements off a drawing for exactly the reason you mention: they are not accurate enough and they aren't meant to be.

      If the plans didn't include a table of offsets, then the needed measurements are written directly on the plans. For a flat bottom boat like Precious, you need fewer numbers than you probably think you do. That's how lofting works... you put down the basic numbers and other numbers come out of your lofting...

      I assume you have the full set of plans, not just the study plans, which probably omit the offset numbers.

    • stephen.vincent@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2012
        John,

        Thanks for confirming my original thoughts. I do have the full set of plans, but still no table of offsets. However, the fact that it is a simple flat bottom boat definitely makes sense that the table is not needed. It does include half drawings of each of the 4 stations, so I'm sure that will be enough.

        I'll go ahead and start doing some mini lofting for the model, expecting that the measurements I need will be there.

        Thanks!

        Steve
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

        > Its generally bad practice to take measurements off a drawing for exactly the reason you mention: they are not accurate enough and they aren't meant to be.
        >
        > If the plans didn't include a table of offsets, then the needed measurements are written directly on the plans. For a flat bottom boat like Precious, you need fewer numbers than you probably think you do. That's how lofting works... you put down the basic numbers and other numbers come out of your lofting...
        >
        > I assume you have the full set of plans, not just the study plans, which probably omit the offset numbers.
        >
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "stephen.vincent@" <stephen.vincent@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi all,
        > > I'm rather new to the group, so sorry if this is basic/already been covered. I did a group search by didn't see anything related.
        > >
        > > I Bought plans for Precious back at the beginning of the year and am just now getting around to building a model as a practice for my first build. I noticed that the plans are marked as 1 1/2"=1' but when I measure distances with a architects rule, they are off by maybe 5%. I.e., 9" on the plans read as 8 3/4" on the rule. It's the same with all measurements; in other words it seems to be a drawing copy/scaling issue, not an accuracy issue with a few measurements.
        > >
        > > So the question to the group is, "Do I need to worry about this?" These plans have no table of offsets, so I'm assuming I'll have to be making some measurements on the plans in order to properly loft. Or, can I get by with just the nominal measurements that are provided on the plans?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Steve
        > > Los Angeles

      • John Almberg
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11, 2012
          Yes, they will be there, if you loft the lines in the right order. That's the tricky bit ;-)

          — John

          "What people say you cannot do, you try and find you can." -- Thoreau