Shoals Runner project

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9 7:00 AM
      Hello All,
      I have begun to loft the Shoals Runner lines. I am going to build a scale model, 1 1/2 inch to the foot ( will be 33 inches long) before I begin the boat build. I am doing this so I can figure out the build schedule.

      The boat and model will be built bottom up on molds on a strongback.

      The boat will be a plywood cored fiberglass composite.

      Using Dave Geer's 'Boat Strength' book I am working out the scantlings for the boat.

      For anyone interested; I started a Photo album 'Shoals Runner project' in the Photos file. I will try to take pictures and post them as I make progress.
      Thanks and have fun, Bob Rogers
    • JohnA
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9 1:28 PM
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <bigwahoo@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        > I have begun to loft the Shoals Runner lines. I am going to build a scale model, 1 1/2 inch to the foot ( will be 33 inches long) before I begin the boat build. I am doing this so I can figure out the build schedule.
        >
        > The boat and model will be built bottom up on molds on a strongback.
        >
        > The boat will be a plywood cored fiberglass composite.
        >
        > Using Dave Geer's 'Boat Strength' book I am working out the scantlings for the boat.
        >
        > For anyone interested; I started a Photo album 'Shoals Runner project' in the Photos file. I will try to take pictures and post them as I make progress.
        > Thanks and have fun, Bob Rogers

        Cool. Are you planning to stick to the design, with the windshield and bench seat? Or going with the center-console, workboat look?
      • Robert
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 16 11:14 AM
          > Cool. Are you planning to stick to the design, with the windshield and bench seat? Or going with the center-console, workboat look?

          I haven't decided on the layout yet. The boat will be used as a recreational fishing boat and also as a picnik boat for hanging out on the beach or sandbar.

          I am thinking of a mostly open design, but I also want seating for a few people. Once I build the model and figure out the engine box and other mechanicals I will design the layout.

          Bob R.
        • Tom
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31 4:05 PM
            I will be excited to watch your progress. The only photos of a Shoals Runner I have seen are on Atkin's site and the boatworks link is down. I don't think the boat performed the way expected. I think they increased the freeboard and added too much weight. I was on their site when it was still up and the weight of the boat seemed much to high. I am sure you have seen this photo.

            http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Photos/ShoalsRunner/WelchSR-03.jpg

            I maybe tempted to build a slightly shorter Rescue Minor or a Heron with the last two stern stations from the Minor. It would be great to see how a runner preforms that was lightly built or built to plans.

          • Robert
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8, 2012
              I have added a couple of pics to the 'Shoals Runner Project'
              Have fun, Bob
            • Steve Paul
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 8, 2012

                Thank you.