Re: comparing three designs

  • adharvey2
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2004
      Thanks Lewis.
      I was figuring on using plywood planking. John Atkins made reference
      to the possibility of batten seam plywood planking in his article on
      the plans site. Or do you think plywood lapstrake woud be better? Btw,
      those climate parameters I mentioned are the extremes, not averages.
      I have sent for study plans for the boats in quetion. Should know more
      about construction when they arrive.
      Andrew

      AD,

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2004
        Sounds like you've got a handle on trailer-friendly construction. Lapstrake
        might be just a tad lighter than batten-seam, but boats you're interested in
        aren't lightweights, so that really doesn't matter. You won't want to be
        trailering them very much or very far! You can probably do the topsides of
        Tang with sheet plywood. It'd be a good idea to avoid large chunks of wood
        in the backbone, especially if you use oak, since large pieces of wood will
        move quite a bit with moisture changes. I think I'd use something like 3M
        4200 (or 5200 in places where you _never_ want to take it back apart) and
        fasteners instead of epoxy in the plank seams, since it's more flexible, and
        there's plenty of framing to hold the boat together, unlike the lightweight
        boats designed to take advantage of epoxied planking.

        Little Water looks like she'd be pretty difficult to build, probably not a
        good choice for a first boat. Even Robb White had to stop and scratch his
        head lots of times when figuring out how to get the shape of the tunnel from
        the drawings to the boat when he was building his bastardized Rescue Minor!

        Speaking of first boats, maybe it'd be a good idea to build a smaller,
        cheaper, simpler and quicker to build boat first to get the hang of things.
        Something like Ike or June Bug, for example, since you'd be using the same
        construction methods and installing an inboard engine, just on a smaller
        scale.

        On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:40:35 -0000, Andrew wrote:
        > I was figuring on using plywood planking. John Atkins made reference
        > to the possibility of batten seam plywood planking in his article on
        > the plans site. Or do you think plywood lapstrake woud be better? Btw,
        > those climate parameters I mentioned are the extremes, not averages.
        > I have sent for study plans for the boats in quetion. Should know more
        > about construction when they arrive.
        > Andrew

        Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your cat.
        <Craig O'Donnell>