Re: [AtkinBoats] Bronze Foundry/ Shoals Runner

  • David Calloway
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10, 2012
      You might find a local machine shop that can make one from bar stock. Internet-wise, I'd first try www.duckworksbbs.com and then http://www.farmerscopper.com . www.mcmaster.com is another source for industrial supplies.

      dc

      On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 7:01 AM, Robert <bigwahoo@...> wrote:

      Hello Everyone,
      I am new to this group; I found this group with a
      Google search for Atkins boats.

      I have built several boats; Canoes, Skiffs, two (side by side)
      John Gardner sailing Flatties, and helped build a couple of Florida
      mullet skiffs.

      I now live in Louisville Ky.

      I was looking for a small fishing boat for fishing around the
      Florida/Alabama panhandle and also Chesapeake Bay area. Both an easy
      days drive for short vacation trips. I had heard of Rescue Minor but
      was looking for a little larger boat that I could run a little ways
      offshore in.

      To get to the point; after looking at the Atkins boats site and
      ordering the plans catalog I have decided to build Shoals Runner. I have
      seen,(on-line), some attempts from people at building this boat but
      everyone seems to change the stern-tunnel lines. I want to build true
      to the lines plan; I will use some modern materials and techniques.

      I have been able to find the materials that I need for the boat;
      except I need to find a foundry that can cast the bronze shoe keel. I
      will make the pattern but need to find someone that will do the casting.

      Thanks for reading this wordy post and thanks for any help and
      comments on this new project.
      Have Fun, Bob R.

    • Bob Johnson
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2012
        > You might find a local machine shop that can make one from bar stock.

        This was pretty much my thought too (or sheet or plate). Try
        <www.atlasmetal.com> to get an idea what sizes of material are
        available.

        Bob
      • John Frodigh
        Message 3 of 6 , May 11, 2012
          Lunenburg Foundry     http://www.lunenburgfoundry.com/

          • Castings for machinery, shipbuilding and marine
          • Specialized in small run castings from either a drawing or pattern.
          • Casting to Lloyds Registry of Shipping and Canadian Steamship Inspection quality standards.
          • Capability of performing strength tests and various other forms of analysis.
          • Raw materials for non-ferrous molding meet ASTM quality standards.

          pour_1.jpgMaximum Casting WeightsWeight
          Metal or Alloy Maximum1200 lbs.
          Brass, Bronze, Zinc
          Aluminum400 lbs
          Main Office902-634-8827902-634-8886

          This transmission is not a digital or electronic signature and cannot be used to form, document, or authenticate a contract. Hilton and its affiliates accept no liability arising in connection with this transmission.Copyright 2012 Hilton Worldwide Proprietary and Confidential