Re: Bronze Foundry/ Shoals Runner

  • stu
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10, 2012
      It may not make sense in a geographic way, especially if you have a local sourse to patronize, but I'll put in a plug for the Port Townsend Foundry, in Port Townsend, Washington.

      They do a wide variety of bronze casting, and will work with special orders.

      My Atkins Gary Thomas tops'l cutter has a lot of PT Foundry bronze on board, including elegant and staunch stanchions, and it all looks great.

      Best of luck

      Stuart Weibel
      Master and slave to s/v Ripple
      http://svripple.blogspot.com/

    • David Calloway
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10, 2012
        You might find a local machine shop that can make one from bar stock. Internet-wise, I'd first try www.duckworksbbs.com and then http://www.farmerscopper.com . www.mcmaster.com is another source for industrial supplies.

        dc

        On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 7:01 AM, Robert <bigwahoo@...> wrote:

        Hello Everyone,
        I am new to this group; I found this group with a
        Google search for Atkins boats.

        I have built several boats; Canoes, Skiffs, two (side by side)
        John Gardner sailing Flatties, and helped build a couple of Florida
        mullet skiffs.

        I now live in Louisville Ky.

        I was looking for a small fishing boat for fishing around the
        Florida/Alabama panhandle and also Chesapeake Bay area. Both an easy
        days drive for short vacation trips. I had heard of Rescue Minor but
        was looking for a little larger boat that I could run a little ways
        offshore in.

        To get to the point; after looking at the Atkins boats site and
        ordering the plans catalog I have decided to build Shoals Runner. I have
        seen,(on-line), some attempts from people at building this boat but
        everyone seems to change the stern-tunnel lines. I want to build true
        to the lines plan; I will use some modern materials and techniques.

        I have been able to find the materials that I need for the boat;
        except I need to find a foundry that can cast the bronze shoe keel. I
        will make the pattern but need to find someone that will do the casting.

        Thanks for reading this wordy post and thanks for any help and
        comments on this new project.
        Have Fun, Bob R.

      • Bob Johnson
        Message 3 of 6 , May 11, 2012
          > You might find a local machine shop that can make one from bar stock.

          This was pretty much my thought too (or sheet or plate). Try
          <www.atlasmetal.com> to get an idea what sizes of material are
          available.

          Bob
        • John Frodigh
          Message 4 of 6 , May 11, 2012
            Lunenburg Foundry     http://www.lunenburgfoundry.com/

            • Castings for machinery, shipbuilding and marine
            • Specialized in small run castings from either a drawing or pattern.
            • Casting to Lloyds Registry of Shipping and Canadian Steamship Inspection quality standards.
            • Capability of performing strength tests and various other forms of analysis.
            • Raw materials for non-ferrous molding meet ASTM quality standards.

            pour_1.jpgMaximum Casting WeightsWeight
            Metal or Alloy Maximum1200 lbs.
            Brass, Bronze, Zinc
            Aluminum400 lbs
            Main Office902-634-8827902-634-8886

            This transmission is not a digital or electronic signature and cannot be used to form, document, or authenticate a contract. Hilton and its affiliates accept no liability arising in connection with this transmission.Copyright 2012 Hilton Worldwide Proprietary and Confidential