Re: comparing three designs

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6 8:55 PM
      AD,

      Ouch! Your winter storage requirements may limit your construction
      method choices. Conventional plank on frame will certainly present a
      challenge to prevent severe drying out over the winter. Are any of
      your choices lap strake construction? As much as I personally dislike
      the idea of cutting big pieces of wood into little strips just to put
      them back together again, strip planking a design based for plank on
      frame should not be too big a deal. Cold molding would be an expensive
      alternative.

      Lewis

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <cen67858@c...> wrote:

      > Forgot to mention - whatever I build will have to sit out the winter
      > on a trailer at 10 - 20 below zero and 10% relative humidity.

    • adharvey2
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7 8:40 AM
        Thanks Lewis.
        I was figuring on using plywood planking. John Atkins made reference
        to the possibility of batten seam plywood planking in his article on
        the plans site. Or do you think plywood lapstrake woud be better? Btw,
        those climate parameters I mentioned are the extremes, not averages.
        I have sent for study plans for the boats in quetion. Should know more
        about construction when they arrive.
        Andrew

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7 5:02 PM
          Sounds like you've got a handle on trailer-friendly construction. Lapstrake
          might be just a tad lighter than batten-seam, but boats you're interested in
          aren't lightweights, so that really doesn't matter. You won't want to be
          trailering them very much or very far! You can probably do the topsides of
          Tang with sheet plywood. It'd be a good idea to avoid large chunks of wood
          in the backbone, especially if you use oak, since large pieces of wood will
          move quite a bit with moisture changes. I think I'd use something like 3M
          4200 (or 5200 in places where you _never_ want to take it back apart) and
          fasteners instead of epoxy in the plank seams, since it's more flexible, and
          there's plenty of framing to hold the boat together, unlike the lightweight
          boats designed to take advantage of epoxied planking.

          Little Water looks like she'd be pretty difficult to build, probably not a
          good choice for a first boat. Even Robb White had to stop and scratch his
          head lots of times when figuring out how to get the shape of the tunnel from
          the drawings to the boat when he was building his bastardized Rescue Minor!

          Speaking of first boats, maybe it'd be a good idea to build a smaller,
          cheaper, simpler and quicker to build boat first to get the hang of things.
          Something like Ike or June Bug, for example, since you'd be using the same
          construction methods and installing an inboard engine, just on a smaller
          scale.

          On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:40:35 -0000, Andrew wrote:
          > I was figuring on using plywood planking. John Atkins made reference
          > to the possibility of batten seam plywood planking in his article on
          > the plans site. Or do you think plywood lapstrake woud be better? Btw,
          > those climate parameters I mentioned are the extremes, not averages.
          > I have sent for study plans for the boats in quetion. Should know more
          > about construction when they arrive.
          > Andrew

          Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your cat.
          <Craig O'Donnell>