Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Building of the Sprite

  • John Brice
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2012
      Thanks John.  I used catalpa for everything except frames and inner and outerwales.  I wouldn't use it again where severe bending is required.  Catalpa is a very pretty wood and dries quickley but is somewhat brittle.  Sassafras on the other hand is much stronger and bends easily.  The reason I used it was because it was available on my property.  Had to scarf join every piece also because long lengths weren't there.  Fun project though!

      John B.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2012
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, John Brice <johnandcarole@...> wrote:

        > Thanks John.  I used catalpa for everything except frames and inner and outerwales.  I wouldn't use it again where severe bending is required.  Catalpa is a very pretty wood and dries quickley but is somewhat brittle.  Sassafras on the other hand is much stronger and bends easily.  The reason I used it was because it was available on my property.  Had to scarf join every piece also because long lengths weren't there.  Fun project though!
        >
        > John B.

        Pretty cool and very traditional to make use of the wood you had available. I've got a couple big white pines on my suburban lot, but don't think the wife would go for chopping them down and milling them up ;-)

        I guess you are in the south?
      • John Brice
        Message 3 of 5 , May 6, 2012
          No, we're in Oxford, Michigan