Re: Building of the Sprite

  • JohnA
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2012
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "brewsnbees" <johnandcarole@...> wrote:

      > Hello, just joined the group - name is John. I just completed and launched the 15 foot, flat bottom Atkins skiff "Sprite" after one year in the shop. I am retired (19 years) from the custom woodwork business and recently built two cedar strip canoes, but wasn't prepared for the work it would take to build a lapstrake boat. It is built of catalpa and sassafras wood which I cut down and made into lumber the year before. I now have a deeper appreciation for the people who build boats, of any kind. Take a look at the build at www.tinyurl.com/jb-sflatbottom.

      Wow, nice job, John. Building a boat is a whole lot of work, particularly an Atkin, which even the 'simple' flat bottom boats have a whole lot of shape to them.

      Fun, though, right?

      Gotta look up catalpa and sassafras. Which did you use for planking?
    • John Brice
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2012
        Thanks John.  I used catalpa for everything except frames and inner and outerwales.  I wouldn't use it again where severe bending is required.  Catalpa is a very pretty wood and dries quickley but is somewhat brittle.  Sassafras on the other hand is much stronger and bends easily.  The reason I used it was because it was available on my property.  Had to scarf join every piece also because long lengths weren't there.  Fun project though!

        John B.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2012
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, John Brice <johnandcarole@...> wrote:

          > Thanks John.  I used catalpa for everything except frames and inner and outerwales.  I wouldn't use it again where severe bending is required.  Catalpa is a very pretty wood and dries quickley but is somewhat brittle.  Sassafras on the other hand is much stronger and bends easily.  The reason I used it was because it was available on my property.  Had to scarf join every piece also because long lengths weren't there.  Fun project though!
          >
          > John B.

          Pretty cool and very traditional to make use of the wood you had available. I've got a couple big white pines on my suburban lot, but don't think the wife would go for chopping them down and milling them up ;-)

          I guess you are in the south?
        • John Brice
          Message 4 of 5 , May 6, 2012
            No, we're in Oxford, Michigan