Re: comparing three designs

  • adharvey2
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2004
      Forgot to mention - whatever I build will have to sit out the winter
      on a trailer at 10 - 20 below zero and 10% relative humidity.

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <cen67858@c...> wrote:

      > My seemingly endless quest to pick a boat for fishing and day cruising
      > on Flathead Lake (the largest natural fresh water lake west of the
      > Mississippi) may be nearing a resolution. I had no luck finding a
      > easily built contemporary design that met my requirements. All I
      > require is a nice sheer line, a nearly plumb bow, maybe a little
      > tumblehome, safety in a four foot chop, a small house with an enclosed
      > head (the ladies, you know), 15-20 mph, and room in the cockpit for
      > 3-4 people to troll for lake trout or jig for whitefish. Sounds simple
      > enough to me! I almost went for Karl Staumbaugh's Bay Power Cruiser
      > (cmdboats.com), but the 80hp outboard, wide transom, and stich & glue
      > construction just weren't "me". I looked a long while at Ninegret, but
      > I didn't like the lines quite as much as the older boats, and the
      > outboard well and box take alot of room from the cockpit.
      > So I'm left with three Atkins designs: Tang, Little Water, and Magic
      > Minnow (I may have mentioned in an earlier post that I was limited to
      > twenty feet due to shop size - but the sawzall took care of that).
      > What I'm not able to judge for myself is the relaive difficulty and
      > time required to build these three boats. Clearly Tang is the easiest,
      > with it's straight sections and simple house, and I'd guess that
      > Little Water, with it's round bilge, tunnel stern, and greater glass
      > area would be the most time consuming.
      > I sure could use a more in depth comparison by somebody who has built
      > traditionally constructed boats before. I am a cabinetmaker and
      > funiture builder/restorer, but my boatbuilding experience so far has
      > been limited to sheet plywood. I'd be interested in any comments
      > regarding looks, practicality, ease of buiding, alternate building
      > methods, or any other aspects of these three boats (or suggetions of
      > other boats!)
      > Andrew Harvey
    • Lewis E. Gordon
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2004
        AD,

        Ouch! Your winter storage requirements may limit your construction
        method choices. Conventional plank on frame will certainly present a
        challenge to prevent severe drying out over the winter. Are any of
        your choices lap strake construction? As much as I personally dislike
        the idea of cutting big pieces of wood into little strips just to put
        them back together again, strip planking a design based for plank on
        frame should not be too big a deal. Cold molding would be an expensive
        alternative.

        Lewis

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2004
          Thanks Lewis.
          I was figuring on using plywood planking. John Atkins made reference
          to the possibility of batten seam plywood planking in his article on
          the plans site. Or do you think plywood lapstrake woud be better? Btw,
          those climate parameters I mentioned are the extremes, not averages.
          I have sent for study plans for the boats in quetion. Should know more
          about construction when they arrive.
          Andrew

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2004
            Sounds like you've got a handle on trailer-friendly construction. Lapstrake
            might be just a tad lighter than batten-seam, but boats you're interested in
            aren't lightweights, so that really doesn't matter. You won't want to be
            trailering them very much or very far! You can probably do the topsides of
            Tang with sheet plywood. It'd be a good idea to avoid large chunks of wood
            in the backbone, especially if you use oak, since large pieces of wood will
            move quite a bit with moisture changes. I think I'd use something like 3M
            4200 (or 5200 in places where you _never_ want to take it back apart) and
            fasteners instead of epoxy in the plank seams, since it's more flexible, and
            there's plenty of framing to hold the boat together, unlike the lightweight
            boats designed to take advantage of epoxied planking.

            Little Water looks like she'd be pretty difficult to build, probably not a
            good choice for a first boat. Even Robb White had to stop and scratch his
            head lots of times when figuring out how to get the shape of the tunnel from
            the drawings to the boat when he was building his bastardized Rescue Minor!

            Speaking of first boats, maybe it'd be a good idea to build a smaller,
            cheaper, simpler and quicker to build boat first to get the hang of things.
            Something like Ike or June Bug, for example, since you'd be using the same
            construction methods and installing an inboard engine, just on a smaller
            scale.

            On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:40:35 -0000, Andrew wrote:
            > I was figuring on using plywood planking. John Atkins made reference
            > to the possibility of batten seam plywood planking in his article on
            > the plans site. Or do you think plywood lapstrake woud be better? Btw,
            > those climate parameters I mentioned are the extremes, not averages.
            > I have sent for study plans for the boats in quetion. Should know more
            > about construction when they arrive.
            > Andrew

            Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your cat.
            <Craig O'Donnell>