Looking at a Atkins design...

  • trevor
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2012
      Hello folks,

      I am going to look at a 35ft Akins Cutter built in 1985 by Ganz/Phillips. I am fully infatuated with this boat but was hoping to hear from some people with knowledge of Atkins.

      My biggest concern with this boat is it has teak over fibreglass decks. Anyone have experience with this design? I am located in the Pacific NW where it rains lots and I have heard of lots of problems with teak over fibreglass leaking/rotting.

      I have also heard that Akins are rather slow. Is this the case? Anyone have an idea of what the cruising speed would be?

      Thanks very much,

      Trevor
    • stu
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2012
        Hi, Trevor,

        Welcome to the Monkey House.

        You don't say which particular design you're looking at.  Is it the Maytime?  A double ender cutter?

        I'm no expert, but I would guess that design is solid and seaworthy... and yeah, slow.  But compared to what?

        She won't be as slow as my Atkins Gary Thomas (Ripple), I'd wager.  But why rush by and deprive admirers of the pleasure of her great lines and estimable heritage?

        I have no experience with the Teak-on-glass decks.  Sounds like it could  be an issue, yeah.  Get a boat cover!

        Where abouts in the PNW are you?  Hope to see you on the water.

        good luck

        stu
        Master and slave to s/v Ripple
      • trevor
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 16, 2012
          Hi Stu,

          The closest she resembles is a Maytime, but has a aft cabin. Viewed her today. Some pretty extensive rot here and there, so may have to walk away unless the current owner will take a very low ball offer and I can summon the courage to take on the project that she will be. The sails are in excellent shape, engine appears strong, all the rigging is great and the fiberglass hull appears sound, but the teak will have to go along with some extensive repairs within the cabin. Going to have a good long think about it. The vessel has some of the nicest lines I have ever seen.
          Currently residing in Squamish, but I move with the seasons... I agree, not reason to rush.

          Cheer,
          Trevor