Re: Winter Projects

  • finnbardalton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2012
      I've been making slow progress on the build of a Ningret this winter. We're having weird weather so temps have been warm enough to laminate my keel. I spent way to long looking for keel stock--debating whether to put int he effort to get some nice oak, paying a bundle (around $9/bf) for some reclaimed heart pine before deciding to laminate. I've got about a cubic meter of iroko that I brought back from Africa that was not thicl enough to cut the keel but workable long enough to cut, joint and plane. I steam bent a small section where there is some curve when joining the stem. This weekend I'll pull the clamps and cut to shape and then start on the stem. I building a slightly modified version (by Ian Oughtred) with some flare in the bow. If this weather holds, I might be finished by 2014.