Winter Projects

  • JohnA
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2012
      Been kinda quiet on the group. Everyone must be working away on winter projects. What's your big project for the winter?

      I'm rebuilding the boomkin on my boat so I can lift my outboard up. Just bought some Hickory to build them out of.
    • finnbardalton
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2012
        I've been making slow progress on the build of a Ningret this winter. We're having weird weather so temps have been warm enough to laminate my keel. I spent way to long looking for keel stock--debating whether to put int he effort to get some nice oak, paying a bundle (around $9/bf) for some reclaimed heart pine before deciding to laminate. I've got about a cubic meter of iroko that I brought back from Africa that was not thicl enough to cut the keel but workable long enough to cut, joint and plane. I steam bent a small section where there is some curve when joining the stem. This weekend I'll pull the clamps and cut to shape and then start on the stem. I building a slightly modified version (by Ian Oughtred) with some flare in the bow. If this weather holds, I might be finished by 2014.