New to the group, starting a build

  • stephen.vincent@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2012
      Hi all,

      I'm new to the group and wanted to introduce myself. I found Atkins though John Almbergs excellent blog, the unlikely boat builder. For the last 4 years or so, I've been developing an unhealthy fascination with, and collection of, hand tools and traditional woodworking methods. My dad is a bricklayer, and with my job in this information age, we don't get to stand back at the end of the day and say, "look what I accomplished today"; its all so abstract. That led me to woodworking at home in my "manshed". Slowly, I've gravitated away from furniture and towards boatbuilding. The unlikely first stop was a soon to be finished 13' Tom Blake paddleboard. And the next progression was naturally to a full fledged boat.

      Yesterday I received my plans for Precious. I'm looking forward to using this as a broad learning experience; hoping to not only build the boat but also make the sails and rigging.

      I'm hoping to document the progress, but was not sure whether to use a blog site, use a group like this, or a combination. Any suggestions?

      Regards,

      Steve Vincent
      Los Angeles, CA
    • John Almberg
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2012
        Hey, my first convert! ;-)

        Precious looks like a good first build.

        As you probably know, I use Google Blogger for my blog. I like it, but if
        I had to do it over again, I'd probably use iWeb, which is the easy-to-use
        Mac website/blog builder. If you are on a Mac, it's a nice option.

        -- John

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2012
          Here's a link to a website I built with iWeb. Since the website is for an iPhone app, I wanted it to have that clean Apple look.

          http://www.babygrowflipbook.com

          Speaking of which, if you happen to have an iPhone, the app is great for recording your build. It's not just for taking pictures of babies, really.

          You just use the app to take pictures of your build as you go along, and it automatically creates a kind of flip book that you can post to your blog, or Facebook, or whatever.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2012
            Funny you should mention the iphone. Just got one for Christmas, and got excited about how much easier it would make it for me to document the build, since I can post directly from the phone (and dictate text as well).

            I downloaded your flipbook app, looks cool... now i know why I haven't seen many posts on the blog :)

            Steve

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2012

              I downloaded your flipbook app, looks cool... now i know why I haven't seen many posts on the blog :)

              Too true. I've got an awful lot of work to do on the boat this winter... No idea how I'll get it done.