Re: Hi I'm new

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2011
      I like that design as well. Another design to look at would be the Ninerrette (sp)
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <danielskorupka@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      > My name is Dan. I am an undergraduate at the university of Massachusetts in Lowell, majoring in environmental science if anyone cares. More importantly to this group I like efficient motorboats and I have been to the Atkin website frequently and like a lot of what I see.
      >
      > My dream boat is not a speedboat or yacht but instead something that can trailer behind a large minivan or midsize SUV, seat 5 or 6 for sightseeing, have 3 or 4 out fishing (including one steering), and occasionally doing volunteer cleanup work on the local rivers (you would not believe how many litterbugs there are who are brazen enough to toss plastic bags in a national wildlife refuge). Fuel economy and foul weather handling take priority over speed every day. It should have shallow draft and maneuver well in reasonably small spaces but be more seaworthy than a jon boat.
      >
      > For this purpose I have repeatedly come back to thinking about the Russel R 22, which I would build ply on frame in a bare workboat trim, similar to the Jeff Spira carolina skiffs. I am startled at the use of 5/8 white cedar called for and am tempted to use 3/4" doug fir MDO for sides and bottom. I am sure a 22 foot boat can stand using the same scantlings locally often used for under 16 foot skiffs. I would omit the shelter cabin originally called for as well as the big table shown in "On The Job II".
      >
      > Power would be a 18 hp Evinrude 2 stroke for most purposes and a 5 hp 4 stroke for fresh water with hp or speed restrictions, or when I have no desire to plane and do desire a small gas bill.

    • Edgar Boyd
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 23, 2011
        Daniel,

        the cedar planking is used because of it's light weight. I worry that fir MDO would be too heavy and thus require a larger outboard.

        Also, Doug Fir MDO is bound to check over time unless It's sheathed in fiberglass, which of course would compound your weight problems.

        The R22 looks like a neat boat. If you're looking for something a little smoother and drier in a chop, you might look at Ninigret which I am currently building.

        Bill