RE: [AtkinBoats] Re: New file uploaded to AtkinBoats

  • Alan Boman
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 14, 2011

      Hi Greg,

      A speed of 20mph is way more than the natural “hull speed” for a 17’ boat, so you can safely say that it is well and truly planing.

      Atkin’s first ever Tunnel Stern design from 1922, “Mischief”, is the fastest of any of them and is quoted as achieving 23mph with a 30Hp engine.  It was a bit longer at 23’ which would have helped I suspect, but it gives you an idea.  The shape of the tunnel may have been a bit different too, but the plans haven’t survived, so far as I’m aware, so I guess we’ll never know.....

      Alan