Re: My New Atkin Boat

  • roninpnw
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2004
      That's a real beauty, John! Looks like a fun little boat and a good
      vintage too (same launch as Ronin!) I'm jealous of your space to take
      in such wonderful projects. Sorry not to have seen you up in Port
      Townsend (we were there all weekend, mostly in workshops though), and
      we didn't even think to go by the NWSWB, but then I would only have
      seen so many things I wanted!

      Happy tinkinering with your new project,

      > On the way home from the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival I made
      > mistake of stopping at the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding
      in Lower
      > Hadlock. They were having a "garage sale" of donated boats and
      boats they'd
      > built. I'm afraid I succumbed to the charms of this beauty, and now
      > sitting in my front yard:
      > http://www.boat-links.com/images/Reindeer/Reindeer-1.jpg
      > http://www.boat-links.com/images/Reindeer/Reindeer-2.jpg
      > http://www.boat-links.com/images/Reindeer/Reindeer-3.jpg
      > http://www.boat-links.com/images/Reindeer/Reindeer-4.jpg
      > http://www.boat-links.com/images/Reindeer/Reindeer-5.jpg
      > http://www.boat-links.com/images/Reindeer/Palmer-1.jpg
      > http://www.boat-links.com/images/Reindeer/Palmer-2.jpg
      > http://www.boat-links.com/images/Reindeer/Palmer-3.jpg
      > Her name is Reinsdyr and she's a modified Valgerda -- with decking
      and a
      > little Palmer PW 27 inboard. She was built at Portland in 1966 for
      > Weyerhauser family, and was pretty much according to the plans
      then. The
      > next owner had a naval architect draw up plans for the engine
      > decking and interior furnishings, and had a boatbuilder in Lake
      > Oregon do the work. The third owner added the ugly keel extension
      and a tall
      > sloop rig. :ob He donated Reinsdyr to the NWSWB last year. The
      sloop rig got
      > lost sometime in the last year (too bad! <g>). I'm going to lop off
      the keel
      > extension and give her a lugsail somewhat larger than the original
      > called for, to help push the extra weight in light breezes. She's a
      > beauty! I think she'll make a great motorsailer for exploring the
      San Juans
      > and elsewhere. :o) It looks like she need mostly just cosmetic
      repairs and
      > paint. The engine looks good, hardly worn at all, but is stuck at
      > and I'll probably do an overhaul (there's not much to a single-
      > engine, and the PW is a Wisconsin inside so parts are easily
      > I hope to have Reisndyr ready for the water again in time for the
      Depoe Bay