Re: shore liner plans

  • matthew c
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2011
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "matthew c" <cookmatt67@...> wrote:

      > Was wondering if someone could give me the lowdown on atkins plans? are they very detailed? what do the generally include? that sort of thing.....

      Well the plans are here, and they aren't as bad as i thought they might be. as for building it does seem that you shouldn't try these boats if you have no experience. as they do not give much in the way of construction help. This will be a project if i go forward with it. will have to convert to plywood construction and narrow the boat 8 inches to make it legal for trailoring in this state. that shouldnt be too difficult. am thinking 1/2 inch bottom/sides and decks with 3/4 inch frames. (all marine grade of course)
    • John Almberg
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2011
        Not sure where you live, but in the US I live in, no cop is ever going to take out a tape measure and check that 8". I'd build it as designed and take my chances.

        -- John

        On Dec 6, 2011, at 8:29 PM, matthew c wrote:

        Well the plans are here, and they aren't as bad as i thought they might be. as for building it does seem that you shouldn't try these boats if you have no experience. as they do not give much in the way of construction help. This will be a project if i go forward with it. will have to convert to plywood construction and narrow the boat 8 inches to make it legal for trailoring in this state. that shouldnt be too difficult. am thinking 1/2 inch bottom/sides and decks with 3/4 inch frames. (all marine grade of course)

      • matthew cook
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 7, 2011
          Im nt real concerned with the cops but here a homebuilt vessel must be inspected and certified by the state before a title will be issued, and i'm sure the deminsions are checked.  If it werent for that i wouldn't alter it.

          "Treat the earth well.
          It was not given to you by your parents,
          it was loaned to you by your children."
          ...Native American Proverb
        • Brandon F
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 8, 2011
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, matthew cook <cookmatt67@...> wrote:

            > Im nt real concerned with the cops but here a homebuilt vessel must be inspected and certified by the state before a title will be issued, and i'm sure the deminsions are checked.  If it werent for that i wouldn't alter it.
            >

            > "Treat the earth well.
            > It was not given to you by your parents,
            > it was loaned to you by your children."
            > ...Native American Proverb

            In my experience, the water=patrol deputies showed up at the appointed time, ask me how long it was, filled out the form and were gone. Less than 5 minutes. I had my 30-foot tape there, but they took my word for it. Length is all they were interested in and making sure it was a new build.

            Brandon
          • John Almberg
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 8, 2011

              In my experience, the water=patrol deputies showed up at the appointed time, ask me how long it was, filled out the form and were gone. Less than 5 minutes. I had my 30-foot tape there, but they took my word for it. Length is all they were interested in and making sure it was a new build.

              And even if it somehow got classified as a 'wide load', you could still get a permit for the 2x a year you need to trailer it.

              Problem is, those 8" are going to have to come out of the open floor space. The bunks are probably already as narrow as possible, so you probably can't shave much from their width.

              The floor is already obstructed by the centerboard case… cutting down the floorspace even more is going to make getting around the cabin a pain, I think.

              A flat bottom sailboat also uses the width it's bottom for stability. Cutting the width by 8" is going to have an effect on the boat's ability to stand up to the weather. Since the reduction comes at the point of maximum leverage, the effect might be surprisingly high.

              I'd say if you need a boat to be a certain width, you should choose one that fits your criteria, rather than cutting one down, but hey, that's just my opinion. It's your boat.

              -- John

            • matthew c
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 8, 2011