Re: ID this Boat?

  • Bruce Elfstrom
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
      I have not found any info about their use as Pilot boats, instead
      they were cheap replacements for the Gloucester Schooners,---I think
      something to do with taxes and market and fish stocks. I do think
      they look similar to the Bristol Channel Pilot Cutters. The men who
      built them and or ran them were after similar things---good in all
      weather, fast (to market in this case), and able to sail with one or
      two people.

      I do not think any of these original Gloucester sloop boats are
      around now with the exception of Great Republic---but she is mush
      smaller and not a work boat.

      I would like to see the historical pride the British have in their
      BBCs for our past---the only thing close is for our Friendship Sloops
      and the Maine Coaster Schooners.

      Any clue about the Atkin type boat on my site.? I just took a few
      more pictures at a set level with a 50 millimeter lens----she is very
      close in lines to Wild Duck, but 2 feet longer and 1.25 feet more in
      beam. Seems that she may just be a scaled up version of Wild Duck----
      but I do not know.

      Cheers, Bruce