shore liner plans

  • matthew c
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2011
      Was wondering if someone could give me the lowdown on atkins plans? are they very detailed? what do the generally include? that sort of thing.....
    • oceannavagator
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2011
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "matthew c" <cookmatt67@...> wrote:

        > Was wondering if someone could give me the lowdown on atkins plans? are they very detailed? what do the generally include? that sort of thing.....

        Matthew,
        Atkin's plans are very detailed in terms of what a boatbuilder needs to build a boat. In terms of recent designers attempt to ease the job by including full size patterns, carpentry lessons and stitch and glue schemes, not so much. You should be able to work from a table of offsets, draw out the hull full size and take your patterns off of the loft floor. I have no idea of how much consulting is available from company but much information can be obtained here.
        Mike
      • huttbldr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2011
          I have the Russell R plans. 2 sheets plenty of info. I was very surprised how accurate they were. Very little fairing was needed

          In a message dated 12/4/2011 4:37:08 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, dgerstel@... writes:

          My wife and I have the Atkin Vixen design.  5 sheets. more than enough for a good builder. That's the key.
          In the old days, a builder who knew his trade had no difficulty. Today, best be careful.

          On 12/4/2011 7:49 AM, oceannavagator wrote:

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "matthew c" <cookmatt67@...> wrote:

          > Was wondering if someone could give me the lowdown on atkins plans? are they very detailed? what do the generally include? that sort of thing.....

          Matthew,
          Atkin's plans are very detailed in terms of what a boatbuilder needs to build a boat. In terms of recent designers attempt to ease the job by including full size patterns, carpentry lessons and stitch and glue schemes, not so much. You should be able to work from a table of offsets, draw out the hull full size and take your patterns off of the loft floor. I have no idea of how much consulting is available from company but much information can be obtained here.
          Mike

        • david gerstel
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2011
            My wife and I have the Atkin Vixen design.  5 sheets. more than enough for a good builder. That's the key.
            In the old days, a builder who knew his trade had no difficulty. Today, best be careful.

            On 12/4/2011 7:49 AM, oceannavagator wrote:

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "matthew c" <cookmatt67@...> wrote:

            > Was wondering if someone could give me the lowdown on atkins plans? are they very detailed? what do the generally include? that sort of thing.....

            Matthew,
            Atkin's plans are very detailed in terms of what a boatbuilder needs to build a boat. In terms of recent designers attempt to ease the job by including full size patterns, carpentry lessons and stitch and glue schemes, not so much. You should be able to work from a table of offsets, draw out the hull full size and take your patterns off of the loft floor. I have no idea of how much consulting is available from company but much information can be obtained here.
            Mike

          • JohnA
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 5, 2011
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "matthew c" <cookmatt67@...> wrote:

              > Was wondering if someone could give me the lowdown on atkins plans? are they very detailed? what do the generally include? that sort of thing.....

              One of my favorite Atkin designs. She should be relatively easy to build. Might be worth building a flat-bottom Atkin dingy, like Carryme, to use as a tender, first. Then you'll get a good idea of how the Atkin designs work.

              And much of the experience will translate directly into Shoreliner, since it's essentially a bigger version of the same thing.

              -- John
            • matthew c
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 6, 2011
                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "matthew c" <cookmatt67@...> wrote:

                > Was wondering if someone could give me the lowdown on atkins plans? are they very detailed? what do the generally include? that sort of thing.....

                Well the plans are here, and they aren't as bad as i thought they might be. as for building it does seem that you shouldn't try these boats if you have no experience. as they do not give much in the way of construction help. This will be a project if i go forward with it. will have to convert to plywood construction and narrow the boat 8 inches to make it legal for trailoring in this state. that shouldnt be too difficult. am thinking 1/2 inch bottom/sides and decks with 3/4 inch frames. (all marine grade of course)
              • John Almberg
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2011
                  Not sure where you live, but in the US I live in, no cop is ever going to take out a tape measure and check that 8". I'd build it as designed and take my chances.

                  -- John

                  On Dec 6, 2011, at 8:29 PM, matthew c wrote:

                  Well the plans are here, and they aren't as bad as i thought they might be. as for building it does seem that you shouldn't try these boats if you have no experience. as they do not give much in the way of construction help. This will be a project if i go forward with it. will have to convert to plywood construction and narrow the boat 8 inches to make it legal for trailoring in this state. that shouldnt be too difficult. am thinking 1/2 inch bottom/sides and decks with 3/4 inch frames. (all marine grade of course)

                • matthew cook
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 7, 2011
                    Im nt real concerned with the cops but here a homebuilt vessel must be inspected and certified by the state before a title will be issued, and i'm sure the deminsions are checked.  If it werent for that i wouldn't alter it.

                    "Treat the earth well.
                    It was not given to you by your parents,
                    it was loaned to you by your children."
                    ...Native American Proverb
                  • Brandon F
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 8, 2011
                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, matthew cook <cookmatt67@...> wrote:

                      > Im nt real concerned with the cops but here a homebuilt vessel must be inspected and certified by the state before a title will be issued, and i'm sure the deminsions are checked.  If it werent for that i wouldn't alter it.
                      >

                      > "Treat the earth well.
                      > It was not given to you by your parents,
                      > it was loaned to you by your children."
                      > ...Native American Proverb

                      In my experience, the water=patrol deputies showed up at the appointed time, ask me how long it was, filled out the form and were gone. Less than 5 minutes. I had my 30-foot tape there, but they took my word for it. Length is all they were interested in and making sure it was a new build.

                      Brandon
                    • John Almberg
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 8, 2011

                        In my experience, the water=patrol deputies showed up at the appointed time, ask me how long it was, filled out the form and were gone. Less than 5 minutes. I had my 30-foot tape there, but they took my word for it. Length is all they were interested in and making sure it was a new build.

                        And even if it somehow got classified as a 'wide load', you could still get a permit for the 2x a year you need to trailer it.

                        Problem is, those 8" are going to have to come out of the open floor space. The bunks are probably already as narrow as possible, so you probably can't shave much from their width.

                        The floor is already obstructed by the centerboard case… cutting down the floorspace even more is going to make getting around the cabin a pain, I think.

                        A flat bottom sailboat also uses the width it's bottom for stability. Cutting the width by 8" is going to have an effect on the boat's ability to stand up to the weather. Since the reduction comes at the point of maximum leverage, the effect might be surprisingly high.

                        I'd say if you need a boat to be a certain width, you should choose one that fits your criteria, rather than cutting one down, but hey, that's just my opinion. It's your boat.

                        -- John

                      • matthew c
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 8, 2011