Re: Power for Ninigret continued

  • jj_warde
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 11, 2011
      Hi John:

      I use a 25 hp Merc Bigfoot which is a 4-stroke. It is a 2000 so it's got a carb. Merc still makes a 15" short-shaft fuel-injected 4-stokes in 30 & 40hp with remote steering. However the Bigfoot 40 hp is a 20 shaft.
      JJ

      > Thanks a lot, JJ! That's really good info, based on actual experience. I'm
      > pleased that Ninigret goes along fine with the 25 hp. Merc. I don't
      > recall, is that a 4-stroke Merc? There are advantages to having extra
      > power for a load, but it always comes with extra weight -- extra weight
      > just where you don't want it, even when the engine is in a well. That's
      > especially a concern with today's heavy, bulky motors. I'll again
      > recommend the Bartender group for it's discussions about putting modern
      > outboards into a boat designed when motors were smaller and lighter:

      > On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:13:28 -0700, JJ wrote:
      >

      > > The Ninigret does very well with the Bigfoot 25 and 4-6 aboard. I've
      > > found that the key element, with its semi-displacement hull design, is
      > > balancing the load and keeping weight out of the stern. That's why a
      > > reasonably light motor works so well. I tried a Merc 50 in a Ninigret
      > > and that was overkill, stern-heavy, and the motor's "dog house"
      > > unsightly.
      > > I put most gear and 2 folks (or more) in the cuddy; becasue it's open to
      > > the cockpit they don't feel isolated. I also carry two fold-up chairs to
      > > use benind the stearing/co-pilot fixed seats.
      > > A point to note is that the Merc Bigfoot is beefier than the standard
      > > 25hp; it was intented to push pontoon boats with its biggger prop. The
      > > crankshaft is a brute.
      > > Good luck with your new motor. I think that ninigret's hull weight and
      > > design accomodates a relatively wide range of power units.
      >
      > --
      > John (jkohnen@...)
      > The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene
      > of older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the
      > blood. (Logan Pearsall Smith)

    • Edgar Boyd
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 13, 2011
        Thanks again for all the comments relating to powering Ninigret. Largely because of this input I've changed my mind and decided to go with a 30hp short shaft Honda 4 stroke. The Honda 30 weighs the same as the 25.

        Bill B

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "jj_warde" <jj_warde@...> wrote:

        > Hi John:
        >
        > I use a 25 hp Merc Bigfoot which is a 4-stroke. It is a 2000 so it's got a carb. Merc still makes a 15" short-shaft fuel-injected 4-stokes in 30 & 40hp with remote steering. However the Bigfoot 40 hp is a 20 shaft.
        > JJ
        >

        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks a lot, JJ! That's really good info, based on actual experience. I'm
        > > pleased that Ninigret goes along fine with the 25 hp. Merc. I don't
        > > recall, is that a 4-stroke Merc? There are advantages to having extra
        > > power for a load, but it always comes with extra weight -- extra weight
        > > just where you don't want it, even when the engine is in a well. That's
        > > especially a concern with today's heavy, bulky motors. I'll again
        > > recommend the Bartender group for it's discussions about putting modern
        > > outboards into a boat designed when motors were smaller and lighter:

        > > On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:13:28 -0700, JJ wrote:
        > >

        > > > The Ninigret does very well with the Bigfoot 25 and 4-6 aboard. I've
        > > > found that the key element, with its semi-displacement hull design, is
        > > > balancing the load and keeping weight out of the stern. That's why a
        > > > reasonably light motor works so well. I tried a Merc 50 in a Ninigret
        > > > and that was overkill, stern-heavy, and the motor's "dog house"
        > > > unsightly.
        > > > I put most gear and 2 folks (or more) in the cuddy; becasue it's open to
        > > > the cockpit they don't feel isolated. I also carry two fold-up chairs to
        > > > use benind the stearing/co-pilot fixed seats.
        > > > A point to note is that the Merc Bigfoot is beefier than the standard
        > > > 25hp; it was intented to push pontoon boats with its biggger prop. The
        > > > crankshaft is a brute.
        > > > Good luck with your new motor. I think that ninigret's hull weight and
        > > > design accomodates a relatively wide range of power units.
        > >
        > > --
        > > John (jkohnen@)
        > > The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene
        > > of older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the
        > > blood. (Logan Pearsall Smith)

      • manyboat
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 24, 2011
          I'm not usually a fan of Honda's but for Ninigret I'd say it's ideal in that ity's 30hp. Also it's a 3 cylinder engine instead of a twin. Twin cyl 2 strokes are quite smooth but 4 stroke twins are'nt as smooth. Think of a oldTriumph motorcycle. But a bigger advantage of the honda 30 is that it's the biggest OB engine available with carbs. I have a 40 and a 60hp OB with fuel injection and it scares me a bit.....they are so heavy and complicated. So if I had a Ninigret I'd be looking at the Honda 30.