Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Power for Ninigret continued

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 5, 2011
      Thanks a lot, JJ! That's really good info, based on actual experience. I'm
      pleased that Ninigret goes along fine with the 25 hp. Merc. I don't
      recall, is that a 4-stroke Merc? There are advantages to having extra
      power for a load, but it always comes with extra weight -- extra weight
      just where you don't want it, even when the engine is in a well. That's
      especially a concern with today's heavy, bulky motors. I'll again
      recommend the Bartender group for it's discussions about putting modern
      outboards into a boat designed when motors were smaller and lighter:

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 11, 2011
        Hi John:

        I use a 25 hp Merc Bigfoot which is a 4-stroke. It is a 2000 so it's got a carb. Merc still makes a 15" short-shaft fuel-injected 4-stokes in 30 & 40hp with remote steering. However the Bigfoot 40 hp is a 20 shaft.
        JJ

        > Thanks a lot, JJ! That's really good info, based on actual experience. I'm
        > pleased that Ninigret goes along fine with the 25 hp. Merc. I don't
        > recall, is that a 4-stroke Merc? There are advantages to having extra
        > power for a load, but it always comes with extra weight -- extra weight
        > just where you don't want it, even when the engine is in a well. That's
        > especially a concern with today's heavy, bulky motors. I'll again
        > recommend the Bartender group for it's discussions about putting modern
        > outboards into a boat designed when motors were smaller and lighter:

        > On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:13:28 -0700, JJ wrote:
        >

        > > The Ninigret does very well with the Bigfoot 25 and 4-6 aboard. I've
        > > found that the key element, with its semi-displacement hull design, is
        > > balancing the load and keeping weight out of the stern. That's why a
        > > reasonably light motor works so well. I tried a Merc 50 in a Ninigret
        > > and that was overkill, stern-heavy, and the motor's "dog house"
        > > unsightly.
        > > I put most gear and 2 folks (or more) in the cuddy; becasue it's open to
        > > the cockpit they don't feel isolated. I also carry two fold-up chairs to
        > > use benind the stearing/co-pilot fixed seats.
        > > A point to note is that the Merc Bigfoot is beefier than the standard
        > > 25hp; it was intented to push pontoon boats with its biggger prop. The
        > > crankshaft is a brute.
        > > Good luck with your new motor. I think that ninigret's hull weight and
        > > design accomodates a relatively wide range of power units.
        >
        > --
        > John (jkohnen@...)
        > The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene
        > of older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the
        > blood. (Logan Pearsall Smith)

      • Edgar Boyd
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 13, 2011
          Thanks again for all the comments relating to powering Ninigret. Largely because of this input I've changed my mind and decided to go with a 30hp short shaft Honda 4 stroke. The Honda 30 weighs the same as the 25.

          Bill B

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "jj_warde" <jj_warde@...> wrote:

          > Hi John:
          >
          > I use a 25 hp Merc Bigfoot which is a 4-stroke. It is a 2000 so it's got a carb. Merc still makes a 15" short-shaft fuel-injected 4-stokes in 30 & 40hp with remote steering. However the Bigfoot 40 hp is a 20 shaft.
          > JJ
          >

          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks a lot, JJ! That's really good info, based on actual experience. I'm
          > > pleased that Ninigret goes along fine with the 25 hp. Merc. I don't
          > > recall, is that a 4-stroke Merc? There are advantages to having extra
          > > power for a load, but it always comes with extra weight -- extra weight
          > > just where you don't want it, even when the engine is in a well. That's
          > > especially a concern with today's heavy, bulky motors. I'll again
          > > recommend the Bartender group for it's discussions about putting modern
          > > outboards into a boat designed when motors were smaller and lighter:

          > > On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:13:28 -0700, JJ wrote:
          > >

          > > > The Ninigret does very well with the Bigfoot 25 and 4-6 aboard. I've
          > > > found that the key element, with its semi-displacement hull design, is
          > > > balancing the load and keeping weight out of the stern. That's why a
          > > > reasonably light motor works so well. I tried a Merc 50 in a Ninigret
          > > > and that was overkill, stern-heavy, and the motor's "dog house"
          > > > unsightly.
          > > > I put most gear and 2 folks (or more) in the cuddy; becasue it's open to
          > > > the cockpit they don't feel isolated. I also carry two fold-up chairs to
          > > > use benind the stearing/co-pilot fixed seats.
          > > > A point to note is that the Merc Bigfoot is beefier than the standard
          > > > 25hp; it was intented to push pontoon boats with its biggger prop. The
          > > > crankshaft is a brute.
          > > > Good luck with your new motor. I think that ninigret's hull weight and
          > > > design accomodates a relatively wide range of power units.
          > >
          > > --
          > > John (jkohnen@)
          > > The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene
          > > of older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the
          > > blood. (Logan Pearsall Smith)

        • manyboat
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 24, 2011
            I'm not usually a fan of Honda's but for Ninigret I'd say it's ideal in that ity's 30hp. Also it's a 3 cylinder engine instead of a twin. Twin cyl 2 strokes are quite smooth but 4 stroke twins are'nt as smooth. Think of a oldTriumph motorcycle. But a bigger advantage of the honda 30 is that it's the biggest OB engine available with carbs. I have a 40 and a 60hp OB with fuel injection and it scares me a bit.....they are so heavy and complicated. So if I had a Ninigret I'd be looking at the Honda 30.