RE: [AtkinBoats] ID this Boat?

  • William E. Parker
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2004
      Hi Bruce, welcome to the list. I like the idea for a workboat site. I like
      the lines of the Gloucester Sloop boat...very like some pilot boat lines I
      have seen. Were they ever used as pilot boats?
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
        I have not found any info about their use as Pilot boats, instead
        they were cheap replacements for the Gloucester Schooners,---I think
        something to do with taxes and market and fish stocks. I do think
        they look similar to the Bristol Channel Pilot Cutters. The men who
        built them and or ran them were after similar things---good in all
        weather, fast (to market in this case), and able to sail with one or
        two people.

        I do not think any of these original Gloucester sloop boats are
        around now with the exception of Great Republic---but she is mush
        smaller and not a work boat.

        I would like to see the historical pride the British have in their
        BBCs for our past---the only thing close is for our Friendship Sloops
        and the Maine Coaster Schooners.

        Any clue about the Atkin type boat on my site.? I just took a few
        more pictures at a set level with a 50 millimeter lens----she is very
        close in lines to Wild Duck, but 2 feet longer and 1.25 feet more in
        beam. Seems that she may just be a scaled up version of Wild Duck----
        but I do not know.

        Cheers, Bruce